1999 Explorer gearbox help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer gearbox help

You might be surprised to hear you'd get a genuine Delco one from Rockauto for £31 including shipping!

They start at £2.92 - not sure what you'd get for that mind!!!

Crikey that’s cheap!! Think I’ll head on over and give the site browse - I’ll get the parts numbers together for the gearbox too I think and might as well put in a decent order

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The best colour obviously
Didn't think so when I bought it - my first was white, second was black (looked awesome even though it was a pile of crap) but now.....

https%3A//i.imgur.com/QDhqbZl.jpg[/img]']
QDhqbZl.jpg

Didn't think so when I bought it - my first was white, second was black (looked awesome even though it was a pile of crap) but now.....

https%3A//i.imgur.com/QDhqbZl.jpg[/img]']View attachment 342895

Oh nice! I like the blue / grey combo as it feels very a 90’s combo. My dad had a big Rover 800 barge in the 90’s the same colour combination.

Fitted this today instead of getting hands dirty tho 😂😂

View attachment 342894

Which reminds me of another Explorer peculiarity; the roof load is just that - it's meant to sit on the roof - not the rack! To quote the manual 'The roof rack cross rails are not suitable for carrying loads. Place loads between the rails on the vehicle roof'

Max. load 90kgs.

Weird or what?!!

Fitted this today instead of getting hands dirty tho 😂😂

View attachment 342894

And another little Explorer peculiarity - the roof load limit is exactly that - the roof, NOT the rack!

To quote the handbook: 'The roof rack cross rails are not suitable for carrying loads. Place loads between the rails on the vehicle roof'.

'Maximum permissible roof load is 90kgs'

Weird or what??!!

And another little Explorer peculiarity - the roof load limit is exactly that - the roof, NOT the rack!

To quote the handbook: 'The roof rack cross rails are not suitable for carrying loads. Place loads between the rails on the vehicle roof'.

'Maximum permissible roof load is 90kgs'

Weird or what??!!

That is weird, I guess the cross members are for show and explains the plastic inserts on the roof gully. At this point they seem just to collect rain to add the to the rust tho.

Was going to hammerite those gullies before I added the rack, but idle hands and all that.

I fabricated the brackets so hopefully it holds up ok though

4D8A545A-2859-4C0D-B600-F862586E5041.jpeg

That is weird, I guess the cross members are for show and explains the plastic inserts on the roof gully. At this point they seem just to collect rain to add the to the rust tho.

Was going to hammerite those gullies before I added the rack, but idle hands and all that.
I really wanted to take mine off and repaint them properly but the screws are so rusted, I chickened out!

I really wanted to take mine off and repaint them properly but the screws are so rusted, I chickened out!

Mine too - it was definitely going to be a instu job…

New alternator, tensioner and belt fitted today. Pleasantly easy job compared the old BMW’s I’m used to. Had awful screech on start up the tensioner was done and pulley in the alt was squeaky as owt.

Lost a window wiper for around 30mins until found it hiding in the engine bay.

D0B507DC-A377-4C1E-984F-5C0C99C2F9E0.jpeg

B947E640-38AB-402C-89E2-5E7A3743CA0C.jpeg

Isolated this trans oil leak too maybe caused some of the issues I’m having? It’s the hose from cooler to trans under UK driverside radiator to trans. (Trans cooler??)

Cheers

90D826C8-22C4-4900-88B3-038A966D02E1.jpeg

If those two rubber cooler hoses are not already short from being trimmed back, you can cut off about an inch or so of each one, and it should not leak again for many years.

If those two rubber cooler hoses are not already short from being trimmed back, you can cut off about an inch or so of each one, and it should not leak again for many years.

Top tip! Thank you very much buddy! I’ll give it a whirl today.

Nice one ☝️

I would suggest a full valve body upgrade, new solenoids, accumulators also if you can, and the new ATF/filter. That usually covers all main troubles with the 5R55E. The SOHC engine is a different can of worms, they're rotten and need valvetrain work regularly(75k or so miles).

The transfer case motors can be rebuilt, I've seen the threads on here. They are the same as all older Explorers also, and used on the TOD version of the big BW4406 TC. So it's a common reliable TC, it just needs a little work with the brushes etc, inside. I got a new one ages ago for $75 from eBay, they aren't bad either to buy new.

Hey up! Rockauto appears to be out of the valve bodies. I’ll be doing the pan drop and filter replacement shortly. I read on different thread that whilst I was there to tighten those two belt nuts to spec too.

I’d like to get a few things from rockauto shipped in one go so - Is there anything else easily accessible that you would advise to check and preventively replace whilst the filter is being changed.

Th aka for your time and expertise again

They can ALWAYS be fixed.

If you check out my pickle registry you'll see 😂😂😂

Si

Hey Si,

Sorry to piggy back this comment to ask a different question. This is RE 50mm body lift.

I saw you mentioned in a thread that any body lift will do be it for a defender or other so long as there are 10 50mm blocks. I have seen a set matching that on eBay UK for £50 and was wondering if that was advice was still suitable?

Sorry for not asking a wider audience I’ve seen you’ve done the lift on a similar model in the UK and thought you’d be the best to ask.

Mark

The kit I used is for a US ford ranger.it has the steering extension and bumper brackets in it.

But, if you don't want any of the other bits and just want the pucks, then any 3" kit will work.

Si

The kit I used is for a US ford ranger.it has the steering extension and bumper brackets in it.

But, if you don't want any of the other bits and just want the pucks, then any 3" kit will work.

Si

Thanks buddy - I’ll have poke around and look at my options

Cheers

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back