1999 Explorer multifunction switch -- again? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer multifunction switch -- again?

akp

Reaction score
I searched a bunch of turn signal and MFS threads but did not find the answer to this specific question. I'm sure it's been asked and answered before, so sorry for the repeat.

I have a 1999 Explorer EB. In 2009, I had the buzzing, smoking turn signal issue, researched it, and found that it was the multifunction switch. So, I ordered one and replaced it. Problem solved.

This morning, after the first time I used the turn signal, it did not automatically disengage when I straightened the steering wheel. So, I manually turned it off. After that, I heard a loud clicking sound whenever I turned the wheel even slightly in either direction. After one full turn to the right, the loud clicking stopped. Now, the turn signal works in both direction, but it will not automatically turn off when you straighten the wheel.

So, the question is, is the automatic disengagement mechanism for the turn signal part of the MFS? Or, is there some other part that does this? If it's the MFS again after only 2 years, I can order another one and replace it. But, I don't want to replace the wrong thing here.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bumping this back to the top once to see if anyone knows before I order another MFS...

The disengagement is part of the MFS. What is it doing? I would take it off and look at the mechanism, it's right on the side with some springs hooked to it...

The disengagement is part of the MFS. What is it doing? I would take it off and look at the mechanism, it's right on the side with some springs hooked to it...

It's just not disengaging at all. When the steering wheel is straightened, there is no clicking sound. It's like whatever parts it is that are supposed to make contact to cause the disengagement are no longer touching at all.

I am going to end up like one of those little old ladies driving down the highway with their turn signal on for 50 miles. :)

I have experience with replacing the MFS, so if that's where the problem is, I can just order one and replace it again. I just didn't want to buy another one after only 2 years if it's not the right part to fix for this problem.

Thanks.

I would look at it, it is possible that the spring is off. You'll see it once you pull the MFS. It's a small button on the inboard 1/2 of the housing.

I recently had almost the exact same problem with the signals not canceling. It was the mfs which is canceled out by a extended tab attached to a spring on the mfs. The steering wheel has a plastic cam with ridges that push up against the tab attached to a thin spring. Joe Dirt as always is spot on. I ended up replacing my mfs because it was a pita to repair that spring.

Back