1999 Explorer multifunction switch -- again? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer multifunction switch -- again?

akp

Reaction score
I searched a bunch of turn signal and MFS threads but did not find the answer to this specific question. I'm sure it's been asked and answered before, so sorry for the repeat.

I have a 1999 Explorer EB. In 2009, I had the buzzing, smoking turn signal issue, researched it, and found that it was the multifunction switch. So, I ordered one and replaced it. Problem solved.

This morning, after the first time I used the turn signal, it did not automatically disengage when I straightened the steering wheel. So, I manually turned it off. After that, I heard a loud clicking sound whenever I turned the wheel even slightly in either direction. After one full turn to the right, the loud clicking stopped. Now, the turn signal works in both direction, but it will not automatically turn off when you straighten the wheel.

So, the question is, is the automatic disengagement mechanism for the turn signal part of the MFS? Or, is there some other part that does this? If it's the MFS again after only 2 years, I can order another one and replace it. But, I don't want to replace the wrong thing here.

Thanks.

Arrgh. Sorry. Somewhere between searching, registering, then posting, I ended up in the wrong forum.

Moderator, please delete this thread I will repost to the correct forum.

I searched a bunch of turn signal and MFS threads but did not find the answer to this specific question. I'm sure it's been asked and answered before, so sorry for the repeat.

I have a 1999 Explorer EB. In 2009, I had the buzzing, smoking turn signal issue, researched it, and found that it was the multifunction switch. So, I ordered one and replaced it. Problem solved.

This morning, after the first time I used the turn signal, it did not automatically disengage when I straightened the steering wheel. So, I manually turned it off. After that, I heard a loud clicking sound whenever I turned the wheel even slightly in either direction. After one full turn to the right, the loud clicking stopped. Now, the turn signal works in both direction, but it will not automatically turn off when you straighten the wheel.

So, the question is, is the automatic disengagement mechanism for the turn signal part of the MFS? Or, is there some other part that does this? If it's the MFS again after only 2 years, I can order another one and replace it. But, I don't want to replace the wrong thing here.

Thanks.

In teh cars that I have had the 'pleasure' of havin gteh Steering Collar off for MFS issues, The Auto Off is a function of the switch. Usually a Tab from the Switch sits inside a groove on the column. Many installs require the Turn signal switch is in the 'off' position and the steering wheel is straight when installing.

Back