• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer What's a Fair Price

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD
Posted awhile back about the parking lot wreck that my daughter was involved in.

I now have a salvage title and need to sell. 136k 5.0 V8 2WD Eddie Bauer with leather. The only body damage is from the parking lot wreck. Runs well and has been very well maintained. Interior is very good other than the center console lid needs replaced.

I do not have the experience or facilities to repair it, if not for the Pillar damage I may have been able to do the work.

What do you think would be a fair asking price for it?

Picture097.jpg

Picture102.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say $1000 would be reasonable, $1500 at the most. That salvage title doesn't help things. How much did it cost you to keep it when the insurance company totaled it?

The salvage title really kills it. At least it would in NJ. The hassle and expense of jumping thru all the DMV hoops, and the inspection process really has sent alot of repairable cars to an early grave.

If the repair/reregistering process in your state is fairly easy, then it may not be such a big deal.

You didn't state the details of the truck (Equipment/Condition), but I would say that $1000 is probably pushing it; and that's to a private party looking for a lot of the particular parts on yours. To a junkyard/rebuilder, it's prob. worth about $500, tops. A 136k drivetrain isn't worth much at the junkyard. You could get more parting it out, if you have the time/palce to do it, and you want to deal with storing/selling all those parts.
Look and see what you can buy a similar "good" one for, now deduct the cost of repairs, plus take off more for the "hassle" of repairs and "stigma" of a salvage vehicle. You'll see there isn't much left.
There is easily a couple grand worth of repairs in those photos.

Too bad you couldn't get it from the insurance co. with a clean title. That would help it a bit.

Yeah, you'd be better off parting it out. As a whole truck probably $500-$800. At least from what I've seen here.

Thanks all!

In Arizona it only costs $50.00 to get a Salvage title to a Restored Title where it can be put back on the road. I was thinking about asking around $1000.00 +-.

Had a second opinion from a body shop, friend of my mechanic and he said same thing as adjuster, around 5k to repair. I figured someone looking for the V8 and transmission may take it.

Has all the extras, Power Seats, Info Center, Backup, Tow Etc... Oil changed every 3k.

I appreciate your advice and suggestions. Thanks Again!

My guess would be parting it out would be getting the most money from it... but that's a bit of a hassle as well... if you can sell it to someone for a reasonable amount, I'd definitely say go for it.

Be sure to let us know what happens with it... darn shame, that truck is gorgeous.. love the color!

Back