• Register Today It's free!

1999 Mountaineer tuner/tune????

omcforever

Reaction score
City, State
Aiken SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer 5.0
I have a 1999 mountaineer with a 5.0 and 4r70w tranny. Putting an exhaust on it and just had the tranny gone thru. My question is-is there a tuner available to set/tighten up shift and shift points and put a mild tune(one to wake it up a bit)? Looking to get a little more out of it.Talked to man at ford parts and he said the 5.0 I have is just a de-tuned mustang motor. I know the heads have GT-40 on em.Any suggestions and help would be appreciated............Thanks,,Art:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not much is said about custom tuning on this forum.

I have a 97. I notice that when I plug my laptop into the OBDII, using an Elmscan 5, there is a lot less sensor data available than on a late model car.

On the 2nd generation Explorers with the 302 & 4R70 combo, what is a reasonable gain from a custom tune? Does the tuner firm up the shift points, remove the speed limiter, et cetera? Is it possible to use the handheld unit to change gear ratio and tire size (rpm)? I tend to favor SCT, but is there a preferred handheld programmer? Is there a favored vendor?

I tend to favor SCT, but is there a preferred handheld programmer? Is there a favored vendor?

Did you even read this thread you just hijacked?
Posted via Mobile Device

Back