• Register Today It's free!

Chip Or Tuner? HELP!!!

CHEESYPOOFS

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0 2wd
Ok ive been told many different oppinions from alot of car guys (most of whom go to nascar tech here in mooresville) and i cant decide. what would i be better off doing... getting a chip and a dyno tune from a tune shop here or should i get a tuner and a custom tune from hensonperformance? now keep in mind i still only wanmt to use 89 octane fuel. 91 if absolutely necessary but ide strongly perfer not to. what should i do? i have a 98 ford explorer with a 5.0. it has the GT40-P heads and the cobra intake manifold. it also has a Mac CAI and exhaust. before i plan on the tuning stuff i plan on getting the torque monster headers and a shift kit from EE. so which would be better the chip or the tuner?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea ive been thinking about it all day probably going with that.

You do realize that a "chip" and a "tuner" (flasher) are just two different ways of delivering the same thing, right?

I used to have a chip on my old Sport and used to suffer connectivity issues with it (i.e. it would fall off, causing my Ex to stall). A chip needs to be permanently mounted to your vehicle to work. Once I identified the issue with the help of Bamachips, the chip was fine. I liked being able to switch tunes on the fly with a "flip chip".

With a flasher, you are able to change tunes without having the unit permanently connected to your vehicle, but it's slightly more involved (albeit simple) to change tunes. Also, with a flasher, your tuner can deliver tunes to you via email if you try something different. With a chip, you'd need to return it to your tuner of choice to add new tunes to the chip.

All in all, I'd take a flasher any day over a chip, but that's me. Others may beg to differ.

Regardless of which path you choose, a dyno session is always good...and it's mandatory if you're boosted.

Regardless of which path you choose, a dyno session is always good...and it's mandatory if you're boosted.

I considered going the dyno tune route, but finding an AWD dyno facility in my neck of the woods was nearly impossible. :(

Thanks for the input guys i really apreciate it. luckily im only 2WD and no boost but how much does a dyno run usually cost?

There should be some pretty darn good shops in your area. Do some research, ask around, and get one with a great reputation. Most those shops also sell tuners and do the tunes themselves, so they can do the tweaking necessary right on the spot. You normally drive away with a great running vehicle.

Last time I had by Cobra tuned, it was $250 for the dyno time and his tuning expertise. I already had the hardware. He did several pulls to get it right. It was money well spent.

Back