• Register Today It's free!

1999 XLT won't start

philly5.0girl

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I just bought the car a week ago and have had no issues whatsoever with it until today. It's a 1999 XLT V8 AWD if that helps at all. Now I'm having an intermittent starting problem. Here's what happened:

Today we were running errands and went to several different places and on one of the last stops we went back out to the truck and it wouldn't start up. Battery was fine, radio and lights and everything worked but the truck just wouldn't not start or crank or anything. You could here a click and the fuel pump turn on as well.

Tried it with my key instead of my fiance's and then put it in neutral (its an automatic) and it started up but my fiance then turned it back off to try his key again and it wouldn't start up again, not even in neutral with either key.

Checked the fuses and they were fine. Got back in the truck, turned the key, voila! It started up just fine.

Drove to our next desination, turned off the truck then tried to start it back up again (right away this time) same thing, won't start back up. Went ahead and did our errand, came back out, same deal. He had to go back and get something so I reached over and turned the key and it started up just fine. Drove home, parked, turned off the car and waited a few minutes- then started it back up with no problem at least 10 more times.

I'm thinking maybe the ignition switch relay is going bad? Or maybe something funky with the antitheft system??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I definitely don't feel like taking the bus to work on Monday if I can't get the truck to start!

Thanks,

Carly

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Carly

I think it might just be the starter on your X but I am not to sure. I have to see what other people think when they post too.

Is the "THEFT" light in the instrument cluster flashing when it's not starting??

The theft light is not blinking when I turn the key, but once I turn the key to the off position or remove it from the ignition, it starts to blink.

It just did it again, we went to dinner- car started fine both on the way to dinner and after leaving the restaurant. Got it home, won't start back up. Tried wiggling the positive battery terminal (which someone had mentioned having problems with in another thread) and that didn't work, so its definitely going to have go in for service. Man am I glad I went with the better warrantee.

That's so weird...I'm having the EXACT same problem right now. Started about a week ago. It's just like it decides to start when it wants to. I'm taking mine in on Monday.

Anybody else have any ideas as to what it may be?

I would say that it could just be a sticking starter inhibitor switch. The one on the gearbox that only allows you to start it in park or neutral. The only way you'll know for sure is to test if the starter solenoid is getting power when you turn the key. Then back track the circuit to the inhibitor switch. It could just be that the gear cable has stretched and the box is not quite in neutral when you try and start. Check the linkage for alignment.

The truck have a few miles on it, since it is a 99. I am thinking the ignition switch. People tend to have lots of keys onto their keyring and that wear out the internal part as time goes by.

You might have bad connection onto the battery post as well, good idea to remove the terminals and clean it out with wire brush and re-install it tight. The cables sometime filled itself with corrosive and sometime have to be replace.

I would check the battery terminals first before tearing into the ignition switch.

My 97 F150 was having the same problems. Long story short, when I found the problem, it was the cable where it connects to the starter - It was slowly corroding through from all the salt in the winter. I replaced the cable and had no more problems (with the starter-had tons more with the lemon from ****).

Tony

Yeah thats what I was thinking too it has to be probably the starter cables.

I hope everything goes well with your X carly keep us posted if you fixed the problem on it.

Well we went poking around today and all the suggested cables look ok, as well as the battery terminals. I'm really thinking its the ignition switch. Ford has always had a problem with these, I think every mustang I've ever owned has either been recalled for that or I had to replace it. This is the first non-Mustang Ford I've ever owned, LOL.

The truck only has 46,000 on it, so its not like it was beaten on or anything. I requested the service history from Ford, which they said will take 3-5 days to arrive. I'm probably going to drop it at the dealer tomorrow after work and let them sort it out. It was fine all day today except when I first went out to it this morning, took about 3 tries to start, and today it cranked but wouldn't start whereas yesterday it wouldn't even crank, so then again, could be the starter too. :confused:

Thank you for all the suggestions, I'll keep you posted once the dealership says whats up. I am sooooo glad I did decide to buy the better warrantee, usually I'm a total cheapskate.

Its also nice to have warranty... Some warranty come with vehicle rental, you should aquire from the dealership. I had mine under extended warranty and the A/C and all of the seals and gaskets on the engine were developing leaks. They have the truck for a little over a week and was offer a Crown Vic or a Mustang for a loaner. I took the Stang and later bought one from the stealership! lol

Just because your cables look OK does'nt mean they are. I had the same problems with my truck. I took the starter down and had it tested with no problems. The cables appeared to be fine. Cables can corrode from the inside as well especialy close to the battery terminal. I would suggest replacing the possitive side after you have the starter checked. On the 4.0 you could remove the starter in about 10 minutes. 2 bolts and 2 wires. Also on the 4.0 starters, the solinoid can be purchased separately. 40 bucks at Pep Boys and maybe 10 at the junk yard. Different motors may have different configurations though.

Very well said, Josh. My Chubby Blazer does the same thing. The starter was in working condition when remove and test. The battery also was in fully charged condition. The wire looks pretty nice and shiny, but I remembered that I had to remove the sulfur build up around the terminal and cable. I took the cable off the truck and decided to cut the insulation open. There were sulfur from the begining of the termainal to almost half way down toward the starter! I replaced the cable and the problem goes away.

LOL@stealership! Let me just tell you the fun I had today.
Had the Explorer towed in for service for the no-start issue.

I bought the truck at C&C Ford in Horsham PA but had to take it their "sister" dealership because it was closer to my house. I purposely didn't even look at this dealership when buying a car because of past experiences there. Now I know for sure that their quality hasn't improved at all.

So, Chapman Ford on Roosevelt Blvd. in Philadelphia, PA SUCKS BECAUSE:

I called and spoke with one of their service techs and gave them all the information- my name, the VIN, the problem....etc. Let them know its being towed in.

Called for roadside assistance, gave them all the same information.

I actually TAPED a written description of the problem TO THE DASHBOARD. (Can you tell I'm a little **** retentive?)

When the tow truck arrived (approx. 10 am), I again gave THAT guy all the info, he wrote it on the tow slip along with my name and work number.

Called around 5 pm to see if by chance the car is done. The chick who answered (who sounded like the same chick I spoke with earlier) said all they had was my keys and they had no info on the truck "such as the vin" so they "couldn't" touch it. So it sat there all day.

I MEAN WTF????!!!!!!

They couldn't call??? I mean, I gave the info to 3 different people, how much more thorough can you be??? Not to mention I taped a damn typed description of the problem to the dashboard AND the VIN is on the truck, open the damn door and write it down.

I started freaking out on her and she handed me off to her boss who was really nice but I mean hello?? You didn't see the truck sitting there? You didn't inquire as to why it was there or call me find out the information?

This is just bad business practices.

Stay away from Chapman, they suck!!!

PS- I do get rental reimbursement, which isn't even worth it, I'll just drive my beat up old Mazda until its fixed. I don't want anything more to do with that dealership unless I absolutely have to. Next time I'm just going right back to where I bought it, I don't care how far away it is.

Carly,

Some stealership is better then others. Fortunatly, we have like 7 stealerships within the county! You do not have to go to Ford stealership to get your X fix, Lincoln-Mercury also part of the Ford families and will perform the same repair with the highest standard of service.

You should insist on getting the rental reimbursement, it is your money you paid into the warranty. The stealership sound pretty bad, I would insist they save the defective parts as well. They will not let you have it but at least you know that they replace it with new parts.

Good luck Carly.

I do have several other stealerships in my area including a Lincoln/Mercury dealership (which is only a few blocks away) When I had spoken with the finance girl when I bought the car, she said I can bring the car either to their dealership or their "sister" stealership Chapman :thumbdwn: But if I can take it anywhere, I'll take it to the closest one. I was under the impression I had to take it there.

I heard from someone over there today and they said "its the alarm but the alarm guy isn't in until tomorrow" of course, the alarm is not listed on my warrantee information. The antitheft system that controls everything in the car is not covered under the warrantee? This sucks. I haven't even had the car for 2 weeks!! :fire: Maybe it won't be the alarm after all, who knows.

As for the rental, I don't think they will give us one because we are under 25 and in PA you have to be 25 to rent a car. How absurd is that? So me and my Mazda will have to get along for the next few days.

I think I need a valium.

Don't let them work on the Alarm until you are there because it could just be a simple reprogramming of the keys and if the place is as bad as you say then they will try to charge you for a "phatom" repair. I just purchased an 01' Expy and the dealer was actually cool and pointed out that if I'm going to set the keyless entry and reprogram my keys to make sure I have all the keys ready at the same time because he's had quite a few customers come in because they reset their alarm system without following the steps in the manual- which is funny because in the manual they just mention it , where as it should be in BOLD letters for us males that only read the 1st few sentences of any manual:)

Oh, believe me, I am not letting them lay a finger on anything that isn't covered by the warrantee without my being there for it.

I'll be super pissed off if I pay out of pocket for a new alarm or something like that and then spot a new starter under the hood......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like the stealership going to have tought time with you, Carly. I hope they could get it fix and get you our of their stealership as soon as possible! At least thats what I'll be doing if I run the business.

Back