1999 XLT won't start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 XLT won't start

Well I got the truck back. Guess what the problem was?

The dealership apparently installs kill switches to prevent thefts from the lot. Yeah, they forgot to take mine out before selling me the truck.

Not a very effective kill switch though, since I drove the car for a WEEK with no problems!!!

Thank god that was all it was, and that it was a no charge.

thats good you got ur truck back

i bet your happy its all fixed

that sounds kinda fishy actually id double check on that, call the dealership where you bought it from and ask them about it. all the kill switches ive seen are like , pressing the drivers window down while startin it, somthing along those lines.

I did call the dealership where I bought it and they confirmed they install some kind of "black box" (module was the word they used to describe it and apparently they put it under the passenger side seat)? Someone on my mustang site had actually suggested this was the culprit.

They didn't want to get into specifics of their little device because then I guess I could go steal a car off the lot ;)
Yeah, I'll take that new Saleen convertible please, LOL!

I wonder if my moving the passenger seat around on Sat. jarred it or whatnot, I guess this module runs some kind of interference? It was the first time since I bought it that that seat had been moved.

But anyway, the truck is back and it starts up fine. You should have seen the service ticket. It said "Intermittent no start, won't crank? See customers detailed note" LOL! It also looks like someone took it home with them though, I found Altoids under my backseat and there was an extra 30+ miles on my odometer. And oh yeah, I now have a wheel shimmy when making turns. I hope I'm just low on power steering fluid, which I'll check in the daylight tomorrow.

Back