• Register Today It's free!

1st, 2nd but no 3rd?

i3abyjay2502

Reaction score
City, State
Atl. GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4
I recently had someone to install a 97 engine and transmission into my 96 explorer. We had to use the 96" transfer case. the engine runs fine and the trans changes fine from 1st to 2nd but does not go into 3rd or 4th gears.
I do not know what model transmission they installed. Just know that it was a 97 explorer xlt 4x4 and mine is a 96 xlt 4x4...
any idea as to what i need ot look for and check. As of right now i have no codes (chk engine lights) but the o/d light does flas on and off while in park. If i put it in reverse or drive, the O/d light stay still ans i cang change it onto O/d or out, but then it pops back into flashing....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

need to check the codes. possible that the wiring harness would be different. i don't know for sure but if you get te codes checked that will help

Did you replace the PCM when you did the motor and transmission swap?

flashing lights

will the lights flash if the rear end fluid is low cause mine does the same thing ??

dont know if this has anything to do w/ it, but my spedometer isnt working either. A few people told me that it wont change gears because of the spedometer... does that make sense?

it will still change gears without a spedo worken unless your tranny is bad and wont shift
l

well the trans is electirc with shift solnoids so if it doesn't see speed its not going to know what gear to be in.

and no the rear end gear lube isnt going to turn on the o/d light

Back