1st gen explorer parking/level warning/bulb check light on dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen explorer parking/level warning/bulb check light on dash

91HerndonEx

Reaction score
City, State
Herndon, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
My 91 Explorer does not light the Parking (P) or brake warning (!)dash combination indicator light for any of these 3 conditions: parking brake lever depressed, low brake fluid level, or during the ignition start cycle which works thru ignition switch to check the light bulbs. I have read the posts I could locate here and generally on web, and my Haynes manual, and tried the following:

1) checked fuse 11 ( 15A) on both the inside and engine bay fuse panels, they both appear unbroken.
2) swapped new bulb into Parking/Warning Brake instrument console position and swapped bulbs between seat belt indicator and parking/ warning brake location. new and original bulb and socket appear OK as they both work OK in the seat belt indicator socket.
3) used an old shop vac to remove brake fluid from res until the float drops down. No brake warning light on, but the Rear ABS indicator lights (as it normally does momentarily during ignition cycle) and with low fluid stays on after start, which seems to indicate float and switch and RABS control module generally working OK.
4) disconnected and cleaned with CRC and toothbrush contacts for what I think is the DRL bypass wiring harness plug at driver's side radiator upper support (just under the "shelf" under the hood and to right of radiator when opening the hood ans standing in front of vehicle).
5) used multimeter to check the flex PCB wire trace between the individual pin for dash connector to the Brake P ! indicator light position positive side. That trace appears unbroken (on GND side of same Parking/Warning Brake bulb socket trace with ohmmeter to check all pins on same connector... could not really find a GND side connection to any particular pin on that connector), although other indicator lights like seat belt do show some connectivity on the GND side of their sockets to various pins on the same side (ground oriented ?) of the same cluster connector
6) Tried removing and bypass (back to normal) an aftermarket trailer light harness, even though this should have no direct relationship.
7) Tried CRC cleaner and then disconnect of the parking brake switch itself, .

Does anyone have a link or source for schematic that is better than the Haynes manual with its DRL block diagram stuff that confuses the issue?
Am I looking at Correct fuse location ?
I plan to try to test both fuse location 11's to see if they are actually getting voltage on supply side, etc. ?
There is also somewhere in the wiring harness a diode resistor assembly that sums the warning conditions, but could not find details, is it taped into or attached to wiring harness close to the instrument cluster like aerostar van ?

When all 3 modes fail, I would suspect the fuse (supply) , the bulb or instrument cluster PCB, (destination) or this Diode/Resistor assy, but not finding much detailed info to clearly tell If I am checking the right locations or conditions. Is it possible that a single part failure on one "leg" like parking brake switch or ignition switch cycle would keep all 3 faults/bulb test cycle inputs from being shown; ie, as a non-failure rather than a lit indicator?

It's a hobby project / backup vehicle, and even though the parking brake, and normal brakes work OK, the indicator not lighting just for parking brake is enough to fail state safety inspection, so I would like to try to get the reject sticker off. The inspector thought he saw the Brake indicator light on start-up cycle, but I think it was actually the Rear ABS indicator, which does a similar bulb check and lights up reliably (and stays on if low fluid).

I could get a recycled instrument cluster (unknown) for maybe $ 75, but would like to identify the correct things to check before throwing in more variables.

The inspector was laughing; is it worth it - to try to keep up an older vehicle ?, but it has some sentimental value, and still looks, drives fine and only 150K, which for a pushrod V6 should be only halfway into its life, so far - for its generation of electrical wiring harnesses, it is not bad, everything mostly works; door locks, windows, seats, AC, cruise, etc, but after rebuilding the transfer case servo motor twice, the only real mod was to make a copper tube/spring steel lever to engage 2H/4H change direct to xfer case thru floorboard instead of dash push-button.After working on my Honda all day in cramped conditions similar to the Ex's engine bay, I am in a solid state of denial - which will only end when the parting out process begins, or the thing falls on me in the garage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't give up on it yet! It's definitely worth fixing in my opinion. If you are not liking the Haynes manual, (It definitely has it's limitations) see if you can use your library card to access your county library system for auto repair information. Where I live, it's pretty good but somewhat limited also. Anyway from what I can see in my Haynes manual, and from what you've said, it looks like the "power" side of the lamp is good. Power should always be on one side of the lamp. The lamp lights up when a ground is provided by the brake fluid low level switch, or the "crank" position of the engine start switch. My schematic doesn't show it, but probably the parking brake switch, and maybe other sources too will provide a ground. It appears the grounds come together at splice S176. Check that splice (if you can find it) to see if you have wiring damage.

If I can find my library card, I'll check those schematics too...

Edit: I see the ground for the ignition switch passes through the fluid low level switch. Make sure the fluid low level switch is plugged in! I can also see that my schematic is not giving me the whole picture of what's in the circuit. Sorry I'm not much help...

Thanks, that's a very good resource suggestion overlooked by me. County regional library in Chantilly, VA every week plus lending priv from George Mason Univ, even though I went to different local univ. Impact tools today must have impacted only my brain, not the rotor bolts on Honda.

There are a bunch of expert mechanics on this forum from other parts of VA, but here we are stuck with a pretty tight suburban env. I respect the eng. in newest products, but also like rebuilding old mustangs, jeep CJ's; suspension, interior, custom hand built dash, etc -> the old mechanical engineers were flat out amazing. - plus new materials and techs are very workable. There are people who are OK with that, then there are those who say what ? That's not on my form...

A web search on Splice s176 yields as one result a set of diagrams uploaded to Scribd by FishyGirl, which despite interesting entries like "hot at all times" is a generic web upload site for technical docs, this one appears to be for the 1995 explorer wiring diagram/ pinouts for all connectors which may help: control F search jumps past the diagrams which are probably not searched for text as images, to a list where s 176 = description- Near T/O to brake pressure switch. I will download the pdf and search manually to see what details it shows.

There's a pretty good mind-bending diagram -if it uploads OK ...at page 8 http://htmlimg3.scribdassets.com/43louyrn407cfcs/images/8-bd223dcd1a.jpg.

The best wiring schematic is the factory wiring diagram, contained in the factory electrical & vacuum troubleshooting manual. You can buy one for 91-92 Explorers on ebay, there are several on there for 91's and 92's, all under $10 with free shipping.

I'd suspect the diode/resistor for the warning lights are built into the gauge cluster circuit board, or otherwise contained in the dash wiring.

I don't think one "leg" failing would otherwise affect the light from indicating a condition with the others, but if it doesn't light up during startup, it won't light up for anything else.

Mine burned out the bulb, and even when replaced, it still doesn't indicate when the parking brake is depressed 100% of the time. I'd suspect age is the culprit, with either degraded wires, corroded contacts, or something else just in the basic circuitry that illuminates the bulb. I don't think the issue is with the sensors, since I would suspect that would cause the light to stay lit.

Thanks for advice and encouragement. Anime is correct about the failure of part associated with one leg not masking the others from indicating. There were 2 independent problems, not a 3 in one root cause.

my brake fluid test yesterday was not accurate, since at the time I only had the one connector at for pos voltage to this particular alarm plugged into instrument cluster - it requires both instrument cluster connectors plugged in to see this particular indicator work. Some others, like seat belt, transit both pos and gnd signals on just one connector.

When I did more tracing out of the PCB on instrument cluster today, found that 1) the group of lights, such as Brake P (!) and Rear ABS share the PCB trace to be supplied power, so if the Rear ABS light comes on momentarily on start up, it is not so necessary to identify and test the fuse location since power at PCB is common to the two. But when I traced the GND side of the Brake P (!) socket, it goes to the other side of the instrument cluster and via the other connector.

After much wire tracing, dis-and re-assembly, contacts cleaning etc of the whole signal path and including the connections for the ignition switch path similar to this thread , the turn-on cycle momentary indicator started working again

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275665&highlight=parking+brake+ignition+switch

and for the 2nd problem, when I was checking the parking brake switch with a multimeter, what had looked strange yesterday... as if the switch could be seen actuating, but visually it did not look like it would deliver gnd when lever pressed, turns out to have been correct, the parking brake switch was not bad, was installed incorrectly, the plastic nub on the back was not in the orientation hole and so I think it was angled way off to hit the lever on the wrong part of its curve. Once I re-mounted that part the parking brake action worked too. If that orientation nub was never in the hole, but was somewhere close, I guess over time, since the switch only has one mounting screw, so I suppose it could gradually move out of position. It does not seem likely that it could migrate out of the orientation hole just by force or flex if it had ever been installed correctly, but maybe it could.

The switch being the culprit makes a lot of sense, probably need to re-position mine too and maybe it'll restore normal light operation.

Hopefully yours is fixed and will now pass inspection. Great job with the diagnosis, thanks for reporting the results.

Back