1st Gen Light Wiring question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st Gen Light Wiring question

Howdy!

I'm getting ready to install some aftermarket fogs on my 94. I'd like to use the parking lights to power my switch, and thus I need some help identifying underdash wires! I read somewhere that the parking light wires are solid brown.

Can anyone with a 1st gen confirm this before I start chopping?

Thanks in advance!

I've always tapped the pkng. lgt. wire by the lights themselves. You have to use a little more wire but its better than working under the dash.
Anyway...the color of the wire at the light should be the same under the dash.

Yes, the wire colour is solid brown coming out of the relay module.

My headlights were tapped into this way by the police...It really is a nice location for splicing...

Thanks!

Thank you for the replies and the helpful info!

I plan to finish up my splicing tonight. Hope to have more lighting soon! Thanks!

Edit: Finished splicing and taping tonight! :bounce: Lights work fairly well, aside from a crappy connection courtesy of moi. More light than I had, but less than I'd hoped. Oh, well, what can one expect from El Cheapo Wally World Lites? :rolleyes: The end-product wiring job is pretty ugly, really, but as it's my first attempt I'm fairly pleased. Splicing under the dash was tricky, mainly due to limited space. If I'd had any sense, I might've used a mechanical quick splice instead of stripping the wires and using a screw-on connector. Lots of electrical tape!

For any 1st Gen folks interested in adding some lights, the parking lights are on the brown wire under the dash. Hope you have small hands! ;)

Back