Wiring aftermarket foglights to factory wiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring aftermarket foglights to factory wiring

I have a 99 without factory foglights, but I have some aftermarket one that I want to wire in to come on with the parking lights. I assume that the factory fog light wiring is there, but haven't had time to look to see.

ps. I don't want to wire them to the parking lights directly, I'd rather go to a relay or a fuse box. I don't have enough room (in the hole behind the brake pedal) to bring them an inside switch (my amp power wire is running thru a hole in the floor in front on the seat, and these wires aren't long enough to go thru that same hole)

Thanks in advance.
:confused: :eek:

I would not run aftermarket lights off the stock wiring. The function of your lights will be limited and you risk overloading the wires. Why isn't there enough room in that firewall grommet? I have about 3 dozen wires going through there.

Tou will be fine using the stock wires as well as the switch UNLESS you use very high wattage bulbs.

Good luck.....

I actually tried to delete this thread, but it said no.

Anyways, I'm going to buy some wire and connectors then run it thru the floor, like my amp power cable, to the switch that came with them, but thanks for the info.

Also, about the firewall gromet, there are about 5 16 awg wires and the cable too, and the connector for the lights is almost 1/2" and the other end of the wire has a connector that is about 3/4", so niether will fit, and most defintly a 4awg power won't fit, but I have a pair of crimpers, connectors and butt splices and know how to run wire (so that it can't be seen). also, I would rather have them on a switch anyways.

Thanks

Back