• Register Today It's free!

1st gen mods

EApollo101

Reaction score
City, State
Madisonville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Eddie bauer
I'm looking to do a couple of things to my explorer when I get my big income inheritance. Right now I'm looking into get my flowmaster muffler welded on but I'm wanting to change diameter on my pipes but idk what to and I'm wanting a 10 inch lift on it but i dont know how I want it weighed out between body and suspension. Then I'll be putting 18" 35s but worth i don not know either. Along with rims if we could start here you guys would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No more then 2.5 on the exhaust. No need for anything bigger. 6" suspension, 3" body will get you close to 10, but there's a ton more things your going to need to get modded for that much lift. And you better get some axle mods cause 18" 35's are going to break things. You would be better I think swapping in another set of axles from something bigger. Search for SAS conversion

Ok then what if I stay with the 15s for now and go to 37s? And what all will I need to modify for the lift

What do you plan to do with this truck after it's built? Hard off-road, mild off-road, or street only? Your answer will dictate the correct way to build it.

Mainly as a daily driver to work but every now and again take on trails and take through some mud holes

Start with a suspension lift, 5.5" or 6", whichever is even available these days. Then regear your axles to at least 4.56 so they can handle the 35s, then get the 35s. You'll get a couple inches of lift just from the larger tires, so see how you like that with the suspension lift.

How do I regear the axles and you do mean frnt and back right? And as for as suspension and exhaust where would I order them

I' still need to lifting and such so this is kinda new to me and I mean I know what I like so I just need the help you know

Using a first gen on 35’s for the street is kinda silly. How many miles are on the 4.0? Automatic? I’m guessing you are looking somewhere in the $5,000 range, which you won’t ever come close to getting back.

Well it' manual Speedo says 60k

Is there a digit for 100,000 on first gens? Might be worth calling around to reputable off road shops if you don’t think you can install everything yourself ( a professional will need to regear the front and rear axles, at a minimum)

I mean I got faith I can install the lift and everything I got a buddy that' done several vehicles no it doesn't have 100k spot

I’d guess it to have at least 160k on it then. Doubtful it had less than 2k miles a year it’s entire life. I wouldn’t trust any non professional to set up the gears.

Yeah gears I'll have done but the lift I'll do you know

Your best bet is to search for past threads on suspension lifts for 1st gens, and read up on what others used and how they did it and how they liked it, then search the net to see what lifts are even still available for your year, then go from there. There's a TON of info here on your questions, but most of it is buried and not current threads.
Put in the time and effort to make an informed decision. Don't go by what a few people tell you in this one thread.

I didn't put in a ot of time but I did put in a good amount trying to read through the threads for a few month since I've had the explorer since december

Do you know what the current rear axle is? Limited slip or not? If you look on the door sticker it will tell you. When re-gearing the rear I’d add a selectable locker if it’s an open differential.

Where on the door does it tell you and do believe it' limited slip

Should be on a sticker on the drivers door, or the drivers door jam. Axles have a two digit code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey yall how yah doing im getting the exhaust together

Back