1st GEN or 2nd GEN | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st GEN or 2nd GEN

brandonrleonard

Reaction score
City, State
Minot, ND currently in Afghanistan
I am but another noobie amongst you. Sorry if I seem to be intruding. After searching, I was unable to find this thread so I apologize if it is a repost.

I am in the army and currently serving in Afghanistan. Before I left, I sold my 92 Ranger STX 4x4 to my 15yo brother in law. I have a one year old and the ranger isn't cutting it. I would like to by an Explorer when I get back. My current plans call for a 3" inch body lift, 2" of suspension and 33" tires. Plus lighting, brakes, gears, and exhaust. What I have been unable to determine is which body style I prefer (leaning towards 1st GEN) and the pros and cons of the decision.

I am hoping that the vast collective experience of the members here can provide some direction.

Thank you in advance for you time and assistance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:salute: :usa: First and foremost, let me thank you and your family for what you are doing for our country and the world as a whole.
You are not "intruding" as you suggest, this is why the forum is here. Welcome to the forum!

I would vote for second generation, they finally got it right. Plenty of parts out there, easy to work on, 5.0 in a small SUV.. why not?
Maybe I'm just biased??

...Welcome here....

...It's sad to hear you had to sell your STX but good to hear it's still in the family...

...I am thinking you want to go off road with your new X...You may find all kinds of useful info and hours of reading by clicking the "How To" in my signature...There are plenty of pics threads too...;)

..and Thank You for your service...:salute:

Thank you all for your support. I am looking to do some off roading, not to many trails, but I do go hunting in some tough spots to reach. The STX had 2 inches of lift and
31's. The 2.9 wasn't always up to the task at hand given the deep snow I encountered on 2 tracks up in ND. I am looking for a dual pupose rig (daily driver/good off-road) that I can take my daughter with me to the store and not get stuck in a creek bed on my way to the stand. (too cold to go through that again.)

Thank you.

Also, Tbars4, your project X is almost exactly what I am looking for visually. Don't think the wife will sign off on the 5.5 inch lift though. I carry a gun for a living, but she is in charge.

Also, Tbars4, your project X is almost exactly what I am looking for visually. Don't think the wife will sign off on the 5.5 inch lift though. I carry a gun for a living, but she is in charge.

...You could get a first gen X, add F150 coil seats and shackles for about 2" suspension and add a 3" body lift later...This will give you more ground clearance and allow bigger tires.:dunno:

That is what I am leaning towards. Do you guys know where I could find a diagram for the push bumpers/ light bars I have been seeing? I am pretty handy with a welder, but always like to have plans when possible.

I felt like a moron for not knowing what the coil seats were, but after looking through the thread, that is how I lifted the front of my STX. Thank you for the guidance and patience.

It was about that high, but didn't look near that nice. I bought it from the ford dealership I was working at for $900. A new clutch, tires, winshield, and lift later and I had more fun than I should have for 4 years.

welcome

Back