Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Big Jay

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V6
I'm in a quandry right now. I just graduated high school last Sunday and I plan on leaving Atlanta to go to North Carolina the fall for college. I have a 1996 Ex XLT which is my first vehicle. I've worked on it with my on hands, been embarrassed in it when it broke down, and I've been proud of it when I get a complement about it. It has sentimental value to me. I plan on driving my 2nd semester of college, so my mom has come up with a plan to either sell or trade in my Ex for a "more reliable vehicle". I'm most likely staying in the Ford-Mercury family due to my familiarity with the Explorer, but I'm trying to decide if I should go with a 3rd Gen Ex or 2nd Gen Mounty. Many people are selling their SUVs below KBB value due to the gas prices, so I feel I can come out a winner. My max price is $9,000. If placed in this situation what direction would you go in?

Here are a few I have my eyes on

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/693503010.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/672923162.html

2002 Mountys

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/693568950.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/643049426.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/693309653.html

2002-04 Ex's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go explorer, only because I LOVE mine, and don't have any experience with mountys.
Well, except being pulled over by them driving crown vics up here in canada ;)

Cheers

Ben.

I'd vote for the cheap Ex. But not prodding here- do you really need a 4x4 for college? Having been there, done that, there are a few things you'll experience: You have the big ride, you will be driving people everywhere. You will not be able to keep it up as you may be accustomed to, and you'll spend mad $ on gas. Why not something smaller, more fuel efficient, and easier to deal with "dings and slight neglect" for a few years until you're out of school? Maybe a 4 cyl Ranger SCab? You can still have your trail fun, but you won't be the shuttle, and the gas mileage is much nicer on your college pocketbook... Believe me- you want cash to spend on other stuff besides gas! ;)

How popular are Exs in NB vs. Mounties? Is that RCM driving Mounties?

I'd check out the Mounty, ya never see them in the service bays (at least not in large numbers).

For $9,000, you might get a lemon on an 02. We were just at Carmax, and there was like a conga line of people trying to sell or trade their SUVs and pickups.

x2

I'd vote for the cheap Ex. But not prodding here- do you really need a 4x4 for college? Having been there, done that, there are a few things you'll experience: You have the big ride, you will be driving people everywhere. You will not be able to keep it up as you may be accustomed to, and you'll spend mad $ on gas. Why not something smaller, more fuel efficient, and easier to deal with "dings and slight neglect" for a few years until you're out of school? Maybe a 4 cyl Ranger SCab? You can still have your trail fun, but you won't be the shuttle, and the gas mileage is much nicer on your college pocketbook... Believe me- you want cash to spend on other stuff besides gas! ;)

Dang! That's true... only if he's a big fella. My kid is :rolleyes: and his pants are flooding now.

How popular are Exs in NB vs. Mounties? Is that RCM driving Mounties?

I've actually never seen a mercury mounty in Canada.
Not very popular at all.
Quite a few Ex's though.
The mounties, as in RCMP normally are in crown vics, Impalas, or Chargers.
Although there are actually a few Explorer k-9 units. ;)

Well, I don't 4x4. But, you do make a good point about driving people around...not unless they're shelling out money for gas. :D

Dang! That's true... only if he's a big fella. My kid is :rolleyes: and his pants are flooding now.

I am a big fella, 6'3". I've never been a fan of being low to the ground.

Back