• Register Today It's free!

1st gen. system install?

GunnerSchenck

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer EB
i have a 1992 explorer eddie bauer and have a system i want to install. to install my subs and amp, do i have to buy an amp bypass for the stock amp or no? ive installed a few before but never had to bypass a stock amp so i'm rendered clueless when it comes to this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It all depends if your keeping the Stock head Unit if you need the amp bypass kit , If your wiring in a aftermarket head unit you Should only need the wiring harness for the power and for the speakers , Just My Thought

Yup what he said ^^ . If your going to change the stereo, then you need to buy a wiring harness. I have a 97 xlt with the jbl system, but when I decided to change the stereo, I had to buy a wiring harness that I had to run from all the way from the back from where the amp was to the location of the stereo. It wasnt really hard though. And this wiring harness I bought bypassed the amp & sub so I just threw that out

well i need one that bypasses the stock amp because i am putting a new head unit in it and taking the system out of my old car and putting it in this(new amp and subs)

Look man this is what I bought when I installed my new headunit. I bought it for $27 + shipping which totaled for around $36 from Amazon. Right now its going for $28 but with free shipping on Amazon. Now I dont know if theres a cheaper harness but I like this one because its what it was recommended by crutchfield and it also came with the whole antennae cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-5601...1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334469866&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Back