• Register Today It's free!

1st Oil Change Report

SilverBack14

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport 4WD
I did my 1st oil change yesterday and have the following to report on the procedure.

I used Rhino Ramps to get the clearance required. This truck is much lower than my 04 Expedition.

The drain plug is obscured by the transmission cooling tube. Unscrews by hand with 3 thumb twist screws. Included in trailer tow option. Some people may forget to reinstall this piece and then need to crawl back under to do it because the truck was off the ramps. Not me though. OK, me.

The oil filter requires the smaller filter wrench. I was able to use both hands and remove it guerrilla style.

The oil filter is vertical and is best removed by punching a hole in the bottom, draining it and then removing it. Much neater.

Filled it up with FoMoCo 5W-20 syn blend & FL-500S filter. Found my filter here: http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-FL..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1303639587&sr=1-1

Thanks for the tips.

The weird thing I found out was that the factory oil filter came off fine with my small cup style filter wrench, but the new Ford one was a tad smaller & the wrench didn't fit. Also the drain plug is metric, ran to the shop three times looking for the correct size!! After I got all the right tools together this was the easiest oil change I've done in 30 years!! Very nice Ford! I guess I'd better enjoy it as I don't see to many other things I can reach to easily, including the serpentine belt, I'm uses to an engine that runs north & south LOL!!

Yeah, getting at that thing from the side is going to be a chore. That said, I haven't even looked at the scheduled maintenance yet. Maybe it is a lifetime belt (haha).

I was helping my neighbor work on his '04 Honda yesterday, trying to get two pairs of hands into a tiny space in order to access some bolts, and was laughing about how we could almost sit alongside the engine in my buddies Bel Air...

Back