2-3 and 5-OD shudder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2-3 and 5-OD shudder

BRay09

Reaction score
Hi all. Been chasing this issue around. I have an 03 explorer with 155k on it. Since i have gotten it on the road (just purchased, salvage title from front end damage) i have a 2-3 and 5th into OD shudder. I have been reading on this trans and am looking for possible solutions. I had a fault for gear monitoring for gear 2 (p0732). I have adjusted the band's, dropped the pan and did a fluid and filter change and replaced the servos with modified ones with orings. The first day i thought it was fixed, however i have put some miles on it and still have the same issue. The fluid was not burnt and was still red in color and seems limited to those 2 shifts. I have a snap on solus that i can monitor pids on. Any idea on how to proceed? Or should i proceed? Body is clean and runs great just have these shifting issues.

Pulled the solenoid block and did some ohms testing. However, i cannot find online what pins go to what.

Testing pins 1, 4, 5, 6, 11, 14, 15, and 16 to pin 3
1- 5.7
4- 5.2
5- 24.7
6- 25.4
11- 5.2
14- 10.8
15- 24.5
16- 24.8

Pins 2 and 13 is 39.44k ohm at aprox 56*F

Found a chart specifying SSA-D shoud range from 16-45 ohm and TCC should range 9-16 ohm. As previously stated, however, i do not know what pins go to what. Seeing as pins 1, 4 and 11 are all under this, can i assume the solenoid pack is in need of replacement?

Ok found pinouts in a video

1- PCB
2- TFT
3- SOURCE VOLTAGE
4- PCC
5- SSD
6- SSC
11-PCA
12-TFT
14-TCC
15-SSB
16-SSC

So it looks as if my ohms readings are within spec... Guess ill be pulling the valve body unless anyone else has any suggestions on what else i should do at this point

If I were you I'd email the proprietors at the transmission shop in Wisconsin that sell that servo bore kit. I've installed their OD replacement servo and it completely fixed my OD slippage issue. They seem like good guys.

You report that when you replaced the servos, "The first day i thought it was fixed, however i have put some miles on it and still have the same issue." Well, if the problem was there consistently before servo replacement, and went away completely (albeit for a short time) afterwards, that suggests that this is a servo bore issue after all. The teflon (or whatever) inserts on the modified servo shafts with o-rings underneath may have stopped the transmission fluid leaking through initially, but the bores may be so bad that it was only a (very) temporary fix in your case.

See what the guys at that shop say--they're pros, and will likely respond since you spent $200+ on their kit. If you're chasing a servo bore/case failure issue, doesn't make sense to put a lot more time/effort/money into valve body, etc.

Back