No OD until "warm" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No OD until "warm"

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
Explorer's transmission won't shift into OD until the car reaches operating temperature (or close to it).

Had a 01 Taurus that wouldn't shift into OD to protect the transmission.

It doesn't have the classic servo issues (05 Mustang wouldn't shift into OD in the dead of summer after driving for 20 minutes - that was obvious). I know what that issue is like.

Why would it do this ? Transmission fluid was just changed. I don't have any slipping or ANY other issues with this transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem, although it comes and goes. Tends to get worst during winter

So I'ma watch this thread

Explorer's transmission won't shift into OD until the car reaches operating temperature (or close to it).

Had a 01 Taurus that wouldn't shift into OD to protect the transmission.

It doesn't have the classic servo issues (05 Mustang wouldn't shift into OD in the dead of summer after driving for 20 minutes - that was obvious). I know what that issue is like.

Why would it do this ? Transmission fluid was just changed. I don't have any slipping or ANY other issues with this transmission.

Why? Don't think I've heard a SOLID reason with proof behind it, my '96 with 4R55E did it, my present '05 5R55S does it also; I think the objective is to prevent O/D operation until TRANS. fluid reaches a predetermined temp.

imp

That doesn't make sense? Why would they do that? Some of us have to get on the freeway with a cold engine, 70 mph with unlocked TC is some crazy RPMS

My '04 F-150 did that too. I could get from home to almost town, 10 miles before it would shift to overdrive in the winter. If I came home soon though, it would shift in right away.

For the Taurus, I believe it was to prevent transmission damage due to the fluid not being warm. That was the AX4N.

My folks have a 10 Explorer, I'll have to see if that does it too.

Its just really strange to see it at 2700 rpms going 60-70 and then fall to 2000 and NEVER have it hang like that again. It is sometimes slow after climbing a hill to upshift to OD, but thats because of how these are geared. It looks at a hill, it downshifts.

Talk about gear hunting!!

My 97 F150 with the 4R70W does it from a cold start too. Though it does have 184K miles on it. But as soon as it warms up a bit it shifts perfectly, smooth as butter. And it doesn't shift hard into OD, it just reaches a temp and smoothly shifts. No other trans problems and its been well taken care of, so I haven't worried about it. Just quirks of old age, I figured.

Back