2 3 flare and no reverse after warm up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 3 flare and no reverse after warm up

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
Well here I am again I think my transmission is toast. I dropped the pan and the valve to remove a double gasket on the valve body. Put the valve body back up made sure all the bolts are tight and boom everything that I had issues with was fixed. I kept checking the fluid and made sure it full, and then i took it on a drive, but after it warmed up boom 2 3 flare and no reverse when I got to Walmart. So I think she toasted!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a valve body gasket slipped or not tight enough

I only say that because it works fine when it's warm so there's no broken parts

Sounds like a valve body gasket slipped or not tight enough

I only say that because it works fine when it's warm so there's no broken parts
Actually opposite there Donald's works fine when cooled off when warm flare and no reverse or that's what it was when I took it for a drive the first time with full fluid. I'll keep you updated.

Check your transmission temperature perhaps the coolers clogged
How would I check for a clog? And are you talking about the metal cooler lines that go the radiator or the aux cooler that the rubber lines go to. Unfortunately can't check tranny temp cause I don't have a gauge going to get one if all this gets solved.

How would I check for a clog? And are you talking about the metal cooler lines that go the radiator or the aux cooler that the rubber lines go to. Unfortunately can't check tranny temp cause I don't have a gauge going to get one if all this gets solved.
Nevermind the last your talking about the little cooler in front of the rad

Gotcha will do and will report back
Okay so I know stupid question but do you guys know how the line's go on these trucks I'll be a little lost on the transmission side of things. Have factory tow package.

The 1 on the top of the radiator is the pressure side The 1 on the bottom of the radiator is the return side
1662089103938.png

The 1 on the top of the radiator is the pressure side The 1 on the bottom of the radiator is the return side
Do you have to remove them from the trans and what about the cooler?

I just removed them from my trans ran some cleaner through both directions
Following with compressed air

You will have to figure out where to disconnect your lines depending on rust

Be sure to use a line wrench

View attachment 433932
But I'm willing to bet with this info, and since I still get a blinking od light that my pressure line got gunk in it.

lubegard bas you covered too with their product kooler klean or something like that green can good stuff

lubegard bas you covered too with their product kooler klean or something like that green can good stuff
Gotcha will do! Don't worry I'll make this 5r55e live again.

Back