Wanted - 2-3' lift kit. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted 2-3' lift kit.

Parts or services wanted
Thank you everyone! As this has helped me realize i don't wanna lift my truck just yet, Due to my money issues i only get about $400 every two weeks...(I work at McDonalds for $7.50 an hour) So yeah...
I wanna make it look meaner. Do y'all have any idea on the tire size limit on a stock Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

31x10.5r15 would fit fine. There might be some slight rubbing if your stock springs have settled excessively.

31x10.5r15 would fit fine. There might be some slight rubbing if your stock springs have settled excessively.

Since this vehicle is still sitting on stock springs (orig springs) I'd say 30x9.50 on 15x7's would fit fine..

31's "might" still fit but will rub pretty bad if you actually take it off-road...

Just remember, your working on a vehicle with more than 20 year old springs.

~Mark

Wile we our on this topic,have you ever head of people taking the overload out the spring pack and welding the overload spring to the perches and just making the aal and the rest of the springs into one pack? A jeep guy told me this,said it helps with axle wrap

I missed the question earlier.. sorry about that..

I've never heard of someone doing this BUT, it sounds very similar to just using large/long spring perches.

The issue though, the overload (normally) is still bent like a spring. That means it will act like a spring just like it did when it was still in the spring pack.

At one time, we did have "flat" overload springs on our X. They came with the OME spring pack (I think that is where I got them). They didn't limit the suspension movement unless the springs went inverted. They did hang up on rocks which is why I removed them. I can't see how welding them to the spring perch would help any more than just having them in the spring pack.

Also, remember, jeeps are SOA by default, as are ranger. Explorer are SUA which is why they don't usually get the bad axle wrap. That is until you go SOA.

Personally, we don't run an overload spring anymore now that our X is more of a wheeling rig. The overload was limiting upward suspension movement. Of course, our springs will invert when we really flex the suspension which isn't exactly good for the springs.

6664844695_88ab18bbd3.jpg

truckhaven-rti-2011-1 by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

edit:
It just occurred to me. . If you were to use a flat overload, and reinforce it so it wasn't just flat spring steel and weld that to the axle and make it part of the perch, I could see that helping more than just welding it flat on there.
something like this, but longer..
Resized_100_2804pic.jpg

I missed the question earlier.. sorry about that..

I've never heard of someone doing this BUT, it sounds very similar to just using large/long spring perches.

The issue though, the overload (normally) is still bent like a spring. That means it will act like a spring just like it did when it was still in the spring pack.

At one time, we did have "flat" overload springs on our X. They came with the OME spring pack (I think that is where I got them). They didn't limit the suspension movement unless the springs went inverted. They did hang up on rocks which is why I removed them. I can't see how welding them to the spring perch would help any more than just having them in the spring pack.

Also, remember, jeeps are SOA by default, as are ranger. Explorer are SUA which is why they don't usually get the bad axle wrap. That is until you go SOA.

Personally, we don't run an overload spring anymore now that our X is more of a wheeling rig. The overload was limiting upward suspension movement. Of course, our springs will invert when we really flex the suspension which isn't exactly good for the springs.

6664844695_88ab18bbd3.jpg

truckhaven-rti-2011-1 by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

edit:
It just occurred to me. . If you were to use a flat overload, and reinforce it so it wasn't just flat spring steel and weld that to the axle and make it part of the perch, I could see that helping more than just welding it flat on there.
something like this, but longer..
Resized_100_2804pic.jpg

Mine appear to be flat or very close.i can rock my truck back and forth and see the overload rock on the perch.the front or rear will come up about an1/8 or less depending on witch way your rocking it.if they were welded or like you said had a longer perch it would put the force father out not on a 4" perch,i think but idk.i need track bars really

Mine appear to be flat or very close.i can rock my truck back and forth and see the overload rock on the perch.the front or rear will come up about an1/8 or less depending on witch way your rocking it.if they were welded or like you said had a longer perch it would put the force father out not on a 4" perch,i think but idk.i need track bars really

The overload shouldn't be able to move on the perch.. My guess is your u-bolts have stretched and your not getting the correct pressure to hold the springs onto the perch.

Welding them to the perch would take care of that but I think just putting new u-bolts on there and getting them tight would also help.

~Mark

The overload shouldn't be able to move on the perch.. My guess is your u-bolts have stretched and your not getting the correct pressure to hold the springs onto the perch.

Welding them to the perch would take care of that but I think just putting new u-bolts on there and getting them tight would also help.

~Mark

Them jokers are tight,first thing i thought of.think they are just to small,just seems under force the perches seem to rock alittle before they start to bend or put force on the springs,could just be an illusion tho.i know before i got my driveshaft extended when i hit the gas real hard or braked real hard my drivahaft would pop apart,seems like axle wrap had something to do with that.

Back