• Register Today It's free!

2 door or 4 door ?

chevyh8r

Reaction score
City, State
lees summit, MISSOURI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EB
ok... My mom wants to buy a dependible suv. I told her fords were the way to go.. exspecually the EXPLO.. So now she has desided she " loves " them... But she does not know if she wants a "2 door" or a "4 door".. She will probably not do no off roading. She is 35 and just wants a good suv to get around in. What do you think would best fit her needs ?

thanx , Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OOps i forgot one thing... She has herd alot of " rumors" that the 2 doors wheel base is less and also may flip easier... true or false.. i told her there was alot of people that had 2 doors that went off roading and raised and had not one problem!

The sport does have a shorter wheelbase, which may make it more prone to rollover. However, if you're that close to rolling over that a 2 door would rollover and a 4 door wouldn't, many more factors come into play. Basically if you know how to drive and have decent tires, Explorers aren't any more prone to rollover than other similar vehicles.

Back to what she needs:

The 4 doors definately have more usable cargo room and if you carry a lot of people or cargo the rear doors make using that space much easier. The sports are in general a bit quicker and more fun to drive, and also easier to park and have smaller blindspots. It basically depends on how much room she needs and if she'll use the rear doors often. I've been very happy with my sport, but there have been times I wish I had more room and 2 more doors.

thanx alec..... i guess i should of added she has 2 kids.. and we usually cary friendz sometimes if were home.!

josh

As Alec said it depends on what she is using it for. Look at it kind of like a car or sports car.
A 2-door is mainly for two people with some extra room for luggage if you need it.
If she plans on taking people then the 4-door is the way to go. I myself like the 4-door because when you take other people it is a lot easier getting in and out. I can't say for sure because I haven't ridden in a 2-door, but I would think the 4-door would ride a little smoother on the highway with the longer wheelbase.

I really think she will be happy with either one. I didn't notice is she planning on buying a new one or used one?
To bad you didn't live closer to Colorado, my dad has a real nice black 4-door LOADED for sale.

She likes the " second gen. " so a used one is what she plans on buying... We looked a 98 sport today that she liked! It was nice.. but i was hoping she would get a 4 door limited.. do they make limited 2 doors?

thanx, josh

A 2-door is mainly for two people with some extra room for luggage if you need it.

A 2-door is mainly for two people + one dog with some extra room for luggage if you need it.

No limited 2 doors. Just the Sport with a couple of option packages available depending on the year.

I like my 2 door, but for street use only I would consider a 4 door V8 AWD. Why?

1. More reliable tranny + stronger motor.

2. Not much mileage penalty if any (some on board claim V8 gets better mileage than V6)

3. AWD system is on all the time for rain and snow driving.

Originally posted by chevyh8r
thanx alec..... i guess i should of added she has 2 kids.. and we usually cary friendz sometimes if were home.!
josh

If she has kids she needs to go with a 4-door. It will be a lot easier getting them in the back.

Originally posted by Perry
If she has kids she needs to go with a 4-door. It will be a lot easier getting them in the back.

yea good point but.... but its usually just me n my mom. or my bro n my mom b/c my dad and her are devorced and he never rides in the same vehicle as my mom and me and my bro either drive or just me and my mom go or just her and my bro.

I think my sport has bigger blind spots that my dad's Mounty. I personally like the sport b/c it handles better (less weight) and it corners flatter than my dad's '98 Mounty and my GF's '96 XLT. Yes, hauling around fraternity brothers, I do wish I had 2 extra doors sometimes (and Sports are legally only 4 seater cars ~ including driver) but I like the Sports b/c they're slightly different than the soccer mom Ex's and lifted they look hoss (someday Adry.. someday I'll have you lifted) ;)

Back