2 Fuses keep blowing (PLEASE HELP) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 Fuses keep blowing (PLEASE HELP)

ureiman

Reaction score
City, State
stone mountain, georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
I have a 94 Explorer XLT, and all of a sudden my turn signal fuse (15 Amp) started blowing out I replaced it and by the end of the day it would blow again. Now my hazard lights fuse (20 Amp) blows out as well it also effects my brake lights which stops working, I know this because I got pulled over by a cop and got a ticket for no brake lights. What could be the problem and the solution.

Thanks for all your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like something in the tailight harness has shorted to ground--check the trailer harness connector tucked up in the driver side rear bumper area.

You might also check the actual bulb sockets in the tailight housings.

The problem is probably going to be a short in the wiring for the turn signal lights. If you have a trailer harness or any aftermarket remote starter/alarm gizmos, I would start there. Wiring added tends to be less reliable than factory wiring.

A potential procedure would be to turn the hazards on and wiggle harnesses, and maybe you will get lucky and wiggle one that blows the fuse. Then you will have a path to follow.

If it were a dead short, I could probably give you connectors to disconnect and see what wiring branch is at fault, but if it's an intermittent, then it's really not a practical test because things are disconnected while driving, which will only lead to more tickets.

PS: If anyone has a spare 94 front turn signal socket to sell, please PM me.

We had an issue similar to this years ago. The fuse for dash lights, which is the same for the tail-lights would blow once in a while.

Finally it shorted to the point that as soon as I put a fuse in it would blow. That made it easier to find.

I used a multi meter and checked for continuity between the output of the fuse and the ground. I was seeing a short. I then started disconnecting the plugs on the wire harness starting from all the way in the back and moved my way forward. I found that when I pulled the plug to disconnect the license plate light that the short went away. After some careful looking I saw that some of the wire had the insulation cut away where that harness was rubbing on the body.

A few years later my brake lights stopped working and it would blow the fuse. I tried the same method and I couldn't find the bad wire. I then grabbed a multi function switch from a parts truck and viola.. problem fixed..

soo, in short (I know, too late).. Check/Replace the multi function switch and look for shorts in the harness as runs to the back of the truck and to the lights at the back.. don't forget, turn signals and running lights run to the front too, so check there too.

~Mark

"A few years later my brake lights stopped working and it would blow the fuse. I tried the same method and I couldn't find the bad wire. I then grabbed a multi function switch from a parts truck and viola.. problem fixed.. "

I just bought a '91 and it has the same problem but with the tail lights. All the other lights work. When I put a new fuse in, it blows right away. I payed very little for the truck and can't afford a huge bill. Could you explain more about the multi function switch you mentioned. Would that even work for my situation? I didnt want to make a new thread and thought this was an appropriate place to ask. Any suggestions are greatly apreciated.

*update* it's the parking lights, front and back. Headlights, brake lights, reverse lights, and all turn signals work. The tail lights and front yellow lights on the sides don't. I changed all the bulbs but as soon as I put the 15a fuse in #11 it blows instantly. I assume there is a short? It's a problem because can't drive after dark. Anyone experience this before?

Kept blowing #5 fuse

i recently had a probelm with my turn signal, heater, and reverse lights after burning my way thru 15 tro 30 amp fuses, and finally smoking a wire i started to look into the wiring diagram for possible problems. i honestly am dumb to electrical so i was going in blind with not a clue as to what to do., it started at the firewall junction i cut the wire there i do beleive it was blue and orange ,i after cutting into the wire harness tape not much room there i then checked and found i had turn signal but no reverse and heater, then i looked deeper into the wire,, and on a hunch climbed under the truck with a flashlight an to my surprise there it was a a few wires going to the backup light and found out that it somehow the harness had come in contact with the exhaust, and melted the wires there so after going thru the melted wires i hooked up the wire with a fused wire in case it didnt work, it did i now had reverse lights turn signals,and heater so i spliced the wires that were burnt and w/o insulation with 16 guage wire and rconnrcted everything and it all worked, so if your having problems with blowing the number 5 fuse on a 1994 ford explorer xlt then thats where i would look good luck if you need a diagram let me know i can provide one

a friend of mine was having similar issues, turned out to be a wire from the tailight harness was touching a tailpipe and melted through.

Back