• Register Today It's free!

2 inch lift questions

Elias lopez

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Explorer
I know there are many forums about this but not all of them are giving me the direct answers that I need. I recently purchased some 31x10.5s and I know they'll fit now but I plan on doing a 2 inch lift with shackle and coil spacer. Will a 4 wheel alignment be needed or just a front alignment? Also can anybody explain the process of both because I want to see if I can do it myself. And another thing I've been getting mixed responses with, stock shocks, keep or get bigger ones? I was thinking of saving some money and getting some f-150 shocks instead of lifted explorer shocks like ranches. Would that work? Last question, the coil spacer goes underneath right and not on top? I know it depends on the vehicle but i think the explorer ones go underneath. My explorer is a first gen 93 4wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My steering wheel before had a tilt to it and it pulled right even after an alignment but I think it's because my current tires have uneven wear. How do I fix this?

No 4 wheel alignment available on 1st gens. I'd get the longer shocks. Can't answer your other questions.

I have about 2" lift with 31's on my rig so I might be able to help.

I know there are many forums about this but not all of them are giving me the direct answers that I need. I recently purchased some 31x10.5s and I know they'll fit now but I plan on doing a 2 inch lift with shackle and coil spacer. Will a 4 wheel alignment be needed or just a front alignment?

2 wheel (front end) is all you should need. If your back wheels aren't straight on the axle then you have a rear wheel bearing problem.

Also can anybody explain the process of both because I want to see if I can do it myself.

Check out the links swshawaii posted above. Aligning the TTB is an art, and a lot of alignment guys can't do it these days, since the number of TTB trucks has dwindled over the years If you're lifted you will need camber bushings that are offset to handle however many degrees positive camber you end up with. In my case with ~2" lift it was about 3 degrees they had to dial out with the bushings. Any more lift, and you'll really want drop brackets, in my opinion. Some guys have cut and turned beams and may get more lift or travel out of their TTB with that, but I don't know much about that setup.

It will be difficult to align well without equipment. You can get it fairly close, but in my opinion search around for a shop that can really do it right. Once you find that shop, love them longtime. No point in spending $$$$ on tires and your hard work installing the lift, only to cup the tires out in 5,000 miles.

And another thing I've been getting mixed responses with, stock shocks, keep or get bigger ones?

You're getting mixed responses because at 2" lift you are right on the borderline and could go either way. In my case I decided to get longer shocks. The springs I'm running (Skyjacker 132X in front, OME leafs in rear) are flexy and I didn't want my shock maxxed out on a logging road rut. You could get away with stock length shocks if you are just driving on-road mostly I think.

I was thinking of saving some money and getting some f-150 shocks instead of lifted explorer shocks like ranches. Would that work? Last question, the coil spacer goes underneath right and not on top? I know it depends on the vehicle but i think the explorer ones go underneath. My explorer is a first gen 93 4wd

I don't know about using F-150 shocks. If you go that route make sure you research the mounts to make sure they're the same, and compressed and extended length to make sure you're not too long or too short.
Spacers go underneath the springs on our trucks. hope that helps

I have about 2" lift with 31's on my rig so I might be able to help.

2 wheel (front end) is all you should need. If your back wheels aren't straight on the axle then you have a rear wheel bearing problem.

Check out the links swshawaii posted above. Aligning the TTB is an art, and a lot of alignment guys can't do it these days, since the number of TTB trucks has dwindled over the years If you're lifted you will need camber bushings that are offset to handle however many degrees positive camber you end up with. In my case with ~2" lift it was about 3 degrees they had to dial out with the bushings. Any more lift, and you'll really want drop brackets, in my opinion. Some guys have cut and turned beams and may get more lift or travel out of their TTB with that, but I don't know much about that setup.

It will be difficult to align well without equipment. You can get it fairly close, but in my opinion search around for a shop that can really do it right. Once you find that shop, love them longtime. No point in spending $$$$ on tires and your hard work installing the lift, only to cup the tires out in 5,000 miles.

You're getting mixed responses because at 2" lift you are right on the borderline and could go either way. In my case I decided to get longer shocks. The springs I'm running (Skyjacker 132X in front, OME leafs in rear) are flexy and I didn't want my shock maxxed out on a logging road rut. You could get away with stock length shocks if you are just driving on-road mostly I think.

I don't know about using F-150 shocks. If you go that route make sure you research the mounts to make sure they're the same, and compressed and extended length to make sure you're not too long or too short.
Spacers go underneath the springs on our trucks. hope that helps

Thanks this was a lot of help, my dad has an f-150 and just replaced his shocks and my brothers explorer has rancho 2 inch lift shocks. So I'm gonna look at them side by side and measure to see if there the same length and mounting

If you could post some pics of your explorer on here too that would be good, so I can see what the ride hieght looks like. Are you happy with your two inch lift? The look, the ride?

should I just get some of those adjustable camber bolts? Or do I need a specific one for a lift, if you got any links or names to any that would help a lot

I'm right in the middle of doing some work on it, so I can't get a pic from a distance or the side, but I took a pic of it in the garage. This would be Skyjacker 132X springs, and OME leaf springs in back with 31 x 10.50 x 15's, with a 15x 8 wheel, 3.75" backspacing. It rides better than stock. Or at least better than at any time in the 17 years I've owned it. I'm running about 3 degree camber bushings. My advice is to run the camber bushings your alignment guy wants to run. Many of them don't want to install the adjustable ones because they say they seize in place and have to be cut out. Moog K80109 is the adjustable.

I ended up about 2.5" of lift, maybe 2" because I had saggy springs. That's on a 94 Sport (weight: approx 4100 lbs).

5.JPG

I'm right in the middle of doing some work on it, so I can't get a pic from a distance or the side, but I took a pic of it in the garage. This would be Skyjacker 132X springs, and OME leaf springs in back with 31 x 10.50 x 15's, with a 15x 8 wheel, 3.75" backspacing. It rides better than stock. Or at least better than at any time in the 17 years I've owned it. I'm running about 3 degree camber bushings. My advice is to run the camber bushings your alignment guy wants to run. Many of them don't want to install the adjustable ones because they say they seize in place and have to be cut out. Moog K80109 is the adjustable.

I ended up about 2.5" of lift, maybe 2" because I had saggy springs. That's on a 94 Sport (weight: approx 4100 lbs).

View attachment 152021
Thanks for all the help I'll update you and ask more questions when I start

View attachment 152021
Your explorer looks sick by the way, I noticed you removed the rocker panels too I'm Probaly gonna do that when I lift it. But mines white so the holes where the clips go looks worse on mine than your black one.

I bought these plastic caps to fill the holes. They fit "pretty well". I haven't bothered to put them all in yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0149IQZRK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will want to put a dab of silicone or glue around each one because they can fall out, even though they fit sort of snug. Also your truck being white, I would consider painting them with plastic paint before installing them -- if you go that route.

View attachment 152021

I just did this lift and now I'm looking at new tires, I'm getting mixed opinions on whether 33''s will fit or not. And have you noticed any excessive wear on your wheel bearings? My buddy swears if I put larger tires on I'll wear through bearings left and right.

View attachment 152021

I just did this lift and now I'm looking at new tires, I'm getting mixed opinions on whether 33''s will fit or not. And have you noticed any excessive wear on your wheel bearings? My buddy swears if I put larger tires on I'll wear through bearings left and right.

33s are gonna be steep. I think it’s more the width. What’s your gearing? Larger and heavier tires always accelerate wear on front suspension parts, especially bearings.

33s are gonna be steep. I think it’s more the width. What’s your gearing? Larger and heavier tires always accelerate wear on front suspension parts, especially bearings.
Stock Dana 35's in the front with a beefed-up sway bar 2" lift and a steering stabilizer

Gearing isn’t always the same. Gear ratio will be a big decider on how bad 33s are gonna suck.

if you're using stock size wheels you may have rubbing due to width, but if you run 15 x 8 with a 3.75" backspacing then width is not an issue, but diameter is. You will probably have to trim on the front trim piece.

Your buddy isn't really up on the D35 in these trucks, it can handle 33's just fine. I think your buddy may be thinking of the automatic hubs, which many of these trucks came with -- they tended to go bad with larger tires / wheeling, and take the bearings with them.

Back