2 problems code p0720 o/d light flashing and 4x4 not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 problems code p0720 o/d light flashing and 4x4 not working

bas99explorer

Reaction score
City, State
gaffney sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 4wd explorer
99 explorer 4.0 sohc 4 it has code p0720 and 9 o/d light flashing iv tried finding the out put shaft speed sensor but no luck.

The 2nd problem it the. 4 wheel drive turn the switch to 4high it lights up 4 high but no 4wheel drive turn it to 4low it lights up then engages low gear still no 4wheel drive I put the explorer on jack stands put it in 4and high and put it in drive the front spun very slow compared to the rear and I could spot the front drive shaft from spinning with my hand and I took a test light to the wire to the transfercase clutch and it was geting power

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The output shaft speed sensor is on top of the transmission, kind of more towards the driver's side, and in the back, here is a photo:
0024-1.jpg

Towards the back, below the vent tube, you see a small black connector, that is it.

Thanks I had found that pic earlier my trans dosnt have a place for one their its flat right before the vent tube ill get a pic tomorrow and my trans is a ford reman part number f68z-7v000-ebrm. Who I got the explorer from said that when they bought the trans it had paper work with it saying to cut the wires that are running to that sensor and tie them together

OK, I have heard of the deleted sensor, but sorry I don't know any more about it.

While going through the paper work For the trans it says to follow tsb 97-20-19. I can't seem to find that tsb.

98-up moved the speed sensor to the rear diff.

Speed sensor pulses must match front ABS sensor pulses, or 4wd will activate. If either input is missing the 4wd wll not operate.

So, you are on the right track.

Thanks il check the vss on the rear end tomorrow

Any luck? I just replaced the sensor and still got an P0720 :(

Back