• Register Today It's free!

2 wheel bearings-that's not it

chriscraftgal

Reaction score
City, State
Southeastern Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer xlt
:salute:ok, we have the 2007 4x4 explorer. This thing has been one mystery after another but getting there. Had one wheel bearing done by pro and the $700 bill told my hubby, the other one, ill do myself! He put it in and all was well for about 2 days... Started to hear a whining esp after driving for a few minutes and when get up around 30mph as I am slowing down to stop hear a click, click, click. I do notice that when the car is cold, it's not as bad but worsens as driving. It was sure seeming like we had a bad bearing so he changed it again (Timken both times) I thought we were good but right off the bat, same issue. the little details... I notice on acceleration off a stop as long as im on the gas, it's not humming but when I even come off accelerator at all, it starts humming and continues until stop . A little different with swirving but not consistant. I drive it for a living so am able to pay attention to the little things....
hubby was gonna by an axle but Im seeing u joints, cv joints, ball joints, spindles as possibilities and hate replacing stuff that is not right. SO, ill take it to the experts!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a mystery noise, I have the same type noise and have not changed any wheel bearings.
Curious what you find, U joints was mentioned on another post.

You can tell if it's u-joints easily, by putting the front end up on ramps. Crawl underneath. Grasp the half-shaft yoke near the u-joint and give it a twist back and forth in the drive-and-reverse directions. If there is any play in the yoke ends or the spider, it will tick or click back and forth. There should be no free play in the joint.

:salute:ok, we have the 2007 4x4 explorer. This thing has been one mystery after another but getting there. Had one wheel bearing done by pro and the $700 bill told my hubby, the other one, ill do myself! He put it in and all was well for about 2 days... Started to hear a whining esp after driving for a few minutes and when get up around 30mph as I am slowing down to stop hear a click, click, click. I do notice that when the car is cold, it's not as bad but worsens as driving. It was sure seeming like we had a bad bearing so he changed it again (Timken both times) I thought we were good but right off the bat, same issue. the little details... I notice on acceleration off a stop as long as im on the gas, it's not humming but when I even come off accelerator at all, it starts humming and continues until stop . A little different with swirving but not consistant. I drive it for a living so am able to pay attention to the little things....
hubby was gonna by an axle but Im seeing u joints, cv joints, ball joints, spindles as possibilities and hate replacing stuff that is not right. SO, ill take it to the experts!

How many miles? All fluids in drive train full? Transfer case, Differential housings etc.

Dumb question: You mentioned a click, click sound.... See any rocks or stuff caught in the tread of the tires?

In my experience Bad bearings make a roaring noise, Bad CV Joints usually make a clattering noise (like rocks in a can), Bad U Joint on driveline will make a high pitched squeak then quit as you speed up.

A humming noise is usually gear train related, ring & pinion, Transfer Case. You mentioned not as bad cold? Things expand when they get hot.

Have you tried just using 2WD or 4WD to localize the sound? 2WD will let the front half just "Go for a Ride" with no load on the system.

thanks for all that! Ill have hubby check all that. You know I have not tried in 4wd, guess another insight worth trying. Ill be sure to do that tomorrow. Tires are good, nothing there. I tried to do some video/audio of it. Ill put it on computer and see if it is audible. Mileage is about 107,000. I was totally thinking it was right front but I was really listening on Friday and kinda thinking may be mid front? I dont know, on the boat its easier, my feet are the diagnostic! Can stand port or starboard and tell a lot! the car is harder for me! lol Thanks for the insights! Ill let you know tomorrow!

Port or Starboard, Fore or Aft...

Now were getting somewhere!

Back