• Register Today It's free!

2000 4.0L 4WD Overheating issue

Cncbrody2000

Reaction score
City, State
Oakdale, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer EB
Hello all! Thanks for looking at my thread I need help…. I got a 2000 4.0L Explorer with 185k miles. My truck will be fine when driving it sits at 185-190 when driving ( got aftermarket gauge) to monitor engine coolant temp. When truck idles with the temp slowly rises and happens quicker in the summer. It doesn’t happen quick but takes like 10-15 mins. I notice it when in traffic the most. Truck cools off when I start to drive assuming the air is cooling it off. When temp rises it climbs to 220 and the rpm’s will rise from 550ish to like 1200 and that’s when the stock temp gauge climbs slowly from middle to H. I replaced the coolant and thermostat already with OEM. So my next guess would be water pump, radiator, even the hoses. I just wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues. Taking to shop soon. Thanks for any tips!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take a look at the fan clutch .
Test it !
By the way you are hurting your engine by allowing it to overheat 220 is way too hot in my opinion

I would take a look at the fan clutch .
Test it !
By the way you are hurting your engine by allowing it to overheat 220 is way too hot in my opinion
How do I test the fan clutch?

one more for fan clutch. never seen mine get over 200 before

And give your cooling system a good flush. A clean system with fresh coolant will transfer heat much more effectively.

PS when you check your fan clutch also check the fan blades for cracks at the bases

Ha I had a Nissan 240SX a long time ago when I was into drift racing that sucked a wire into the fan clutch. I spliced the wire but I didn't get a new fan clutch for like 2 weeks. The clutch wasn't locked up but almost. Little 4 cylinder sounded like a BEAST creeping through parking lots and around town lol. That thing was moving some air.

Right? I generally drive my trucks like a grandma, but yesterday I was in a mood and was getting after it (I didn’t realize how fast the 5.0 is…wow). I guess she got a little warm bc the fan was kicking on…thing sounded like a 14 liter Detroit!

Right? I generally drive my trucks like a grandma, but yesterday I was in a mood and was getting after it (I didn’t realize how fast the 5.0 is…wow). I guess she got a little warm bc the fan was kicking on…thing sounded like a 14 liter Detroit!
e fan or mechsnical fan? when my sohc gets toasty up long hills, it sounds mean hahahaha

Mechanical. Mine almost never comes on, but yesterday I guess it needed it

Mechanical. Mine almost never comes on, but yesterday I guess it needed it
same most of the tine its never on just there but once in a while usually long 10 mile hills then it sounds nice hahaha

e fan or mechsnical fan? when my sohc gets toasty up long hills, it sounds mean hahahaha
ive never heard mine kick up but then again at 6200 who can hear that little fan HAHAHHAHHA

If the fan clutch is a severe duty, when they fail, they lockup. A weak ass standard duty clutch would cause overheating. I'm wondering if the radiator fins are full of bugs, dust, etc or if the radiator has a small amount of buildup on the inside.

Anybody

Yeah I found one for 3rd gen as well hayden part number 2776. I'm looking at doing the electric conversion though.
Do you have a 2nd gen or 3rd gen? because there a difference between them Hayden 2776 is the 04 explorer 4.6 part number if you are looking at a conversion to electric fans, I highly suggest checking out the modified 3rd gen section of this forum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a 2nd gen or 3rd gen? because there a difference between them Hayden 2776 is the 04 explorer 4.6 part number if you are looking at a conversion to electric fans, I highly suggest checking out the modified 3rd gen section of this forum
Yeah sorry I have an 04 4.6 I got off topic by generation and hijacked for a second lol.

Back