2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should really drive by an automotive A/C shop and have them evacuate it.

That's the environmentally safe way to do it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

also, maybe you could add a couple of flaps where the lexan is. Make the flaps so that they flap inwards toward the motor. This way, when on the highway, the flaps open up and let the excess air out rather than over spin the electric fans.

Hmm... Good idea... wonder the feasibility of that.

I'd drive on over but my car on jack stands in like 200 pieces still lol.

I posted on my fb for someone who can bring a recovery system over to my place and get paid to recover the system lol. Maybe I will get some hits :D

also, maybe you could add a couple of flaps where the lexan is. Make the flaps so that they flap inwards toward the motor. This way, when on the highway, the flaps open up and let the excess air out rather than over spin the electric fans.

Now that I think about it... The stock 95 contour fan setup is those 2 electric fans built into the shroud with the only air flow passage being thru the fans themselves so I believe they should be fine this way without any bypass flaps on the Xploder... Wouldn't really have any clue how to set that up anyways lol... I'd need to test multitude of springs to figure out a system to open the flaps out at only a certain speed (wind flow pressure) etc... Probably a little more involved than I'd want to tackle right now haha.

Ok.. I was able to vent the AC system and pull off the condenser.. So... I figured I'd check out the fit on the Spectra Premium condenser 74821 that I had ordered from Rockauto.com a good 6 months ago or so.

Well... Blah.. All I can say, haha. The plastic mounting things that snap onto the left and right side of the condenser were in no way going to fit on this thing. The OEM unit was pretty streamlined and this unit, for whatever reason, had big tubes coming out of each side of the unit that impacted the plastic on both sides so it would not snap in :-/

Thus.. I broke out the dremel and hacked the plastic pieces up so allow for the tubes to pass through and still allow the plastic to snap in place securely. Seems solid.. Will try the fit tomorrow (ran out of light).

Wonder why it did not fit without modification when it said on the site OEM fit?

Also ordered a new orifice tube and new a/c drier... Figured I'd swap these out while I have everything disassembled and cleared.

This is how I had to hack it up to fit it lol.

ForumRunner_20140225_231123.jpg

Made some progress today.. Got the new condensor mounted to the shiny new radiator and back in the truck.. Fit easily which is a change lol.

ForumRunner_20140226_181923.jpg

I mocked up the electric waterpump and went to mount my custom electric fan setup.. And... It fit!! Plenty of extra room too! Woohoo! Lol. Seems very sturdy too.

Pretty simple insert and removal process too. To remove you simply unbolt the the fan shroud and slide it straight up and the fans of course come on out with it. Afterwards pump can be pulled/installed.

ForumRunner_20140226_182336.jpg

Space..

ForumRunner_20140226_182349.png

Coming along finally!!

Got the electric waterpump "mostly" installed yesterday. Total PITA, lol. I somehow misplaced one of the damn bolts though so need to find it.. Got all the other bolts tightened down snug with the gasket in place and some high temp gasket sealant stuff. Looks pretty lol.

Also contemplating perhaps going with a small shot of NOS but dunno... I have all the supporting pieces in place already (bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, bigger intake, headers, bigger exhaust, bigger MAF, etc). Maybe a 100 shot would be realistic though not 100% on what kit I'd go with yet (if any). Decisions decisions. Lol.

Of course as soon as I get on track working on the Xploder I get hit with some funky snow/ice super storm and get thrown off target :-/

Looking at putting on some new rotors and brake pads while I have the car disassembled as my older rotors are rusted over from sitting for so long and look like crap lol. I'm sure they would run fine once I brake with them a few times but I was pricing some centric rotors and hawk pads and price was only around $250 for everything so not too bad. Hmmm.

Woohoo!! It's nice once more... Got to love when the weather goes from 75 to 15 to 70 in the span of a week or so!! Now I'm sick.. Hopefully well soon and can get back to work on the Xploder! Started a new job as well so busy busy once more :-/

Good deal on the new job. Hope it works out better than you hoped for!

Get to work on your X. I really want to see how that water pump works out.

Good deal on the new job. Hope it works out better than you hoped for!

Get to work on your X. I really want to see how that water pump works out.

Thanks! :D

New job is pretty nice. Working on a Navy base like 5 miles from my house so the drive is so much better than when I use to drive 50 miles each way! I do miss Vegas though.. That place was very nice. Sunny every day.

Weather is still being a PITA here in TN. Was nice a few days ago.. Today it's cold again, yesterday it was cold and raining :-/ I did finish the waterpump install. I found the lost last WP bolt and bolted it in place.

Also had a chance to install the new accumulator and attempted to put a new orifice tube in but no matter what I tried I could not get the damn ac "quick" disconnect off at the bottom to swap in a new one. I used 2 different AC quick disconnect tools and worked on it for a good 2 hours and it would not come out. Ugh. Skipping the orifice tube for now, stupid POS!! Lol.

I finished my last final of my last class last night (that's a lot of "lasts") to finish my MBA.. So... I am FINISHED with school FINALLY (after an MS in Information Security and an MBA) and will hopefully have some additional free time for a change! Woohoo. Weather supposed to kick it up back into the mid 60s this week which will be perfect for me to get working on the Xploder. Also need to pull my brake pads and clean up and grease the calipers on the SVTf so I can hopefully get rid of the brutal brake noise!

Have also been busy collecting a couple firearms. Have been getting into shooting a lot more lately and found I enjoy the mechanical aspect of firearms quite a lot. Just did a full trigger job (drop in kit though it required a ton of disassembly lol) on my Springfield Armory XDm 45. Also picked up about a month ago a Sino Soviet SKS that I built into a bullpup platform and last week grabbed a new Saiga AK-47 variation rifle :D Cars + firearms... Going to get expensive! Haha.

Sino Soviet SKS (bullpup conversion):
20140218_093512_1.jpg

Saiga AK-47 variation rifle:
20140313_194520_1.jpg

Thanks! :D

New job is pretty nice. Working on a Navy base like 5 miles from my house so the drive is so much better than when I use to drive 50 miles each way! I do miss Vegas though.. That place was very nice. Sunny every day.

Weather is still being a PITA here in TN. Was nice a few days ago.. Today it's cold again, yesterday it was cold and raining :-/ I did finish the waterpump install. I found the lost last WP bolt and bolted it in place.

Also had a chance to install the new accumulator and attempted to put a new orifice tube in but no matter what I tried I could not get the damn ac "quick" disconnect off at the bottom to swap in a new one. I used 2 different AC quick disconnect tools and worked on it for a good 2 hours and it would not come out. Ugh. Skipping the orifice tube for now, stupid POS!! Lol.

I finished my last final of my last class last night (that's a lot of "lasts") to finish my MBA.. So... I am FINISHED with school FINALLY (after an MS in Information Security and an MBA) and will hopefully have some additional free time for a change! Woohoo. Weather supposed to kick it up back into the mid 60s this week which will be perfect for me to get working on the Xploder. Also need to pull my brake pads and clean up and grease the calipers on the SVTf so I can hopefully get rid of the brutal brake noise!

Have also been busy collecting a couple firearms. Have been getting into shooting a lot more lately and found I enjoy the mechanical aspect of firearms quite a lot. Just did a full trigger job (drop in kit though it required a ton of disassembly lol) on my Springfield Armory XDm 45. Also picked up about a month ago a Sino Soviet SKS that I built into a bullpup platform and last week grabbed a new Saiga AK-47 variation rifle :D Cars + firearms... Going to get expensive! Haha.

Sino Soviet SKS (bullpup conversion):
20140218_093512_1.jpg

Saiga AK-47 variation rifle:
20140313_194520_1.jpg
I do conversions on the saiga all the time, they sell as fast as I can build them;) 3 of my favorite guns, I have the .223,308 and 12ga all converted over with threaded barrels.they are getting harder and harder to order tho:( guns and trucks just go together! ! Lol nice progress also by the way:salute:

I do conversions on the saiga all the time, they sell as fast as I can build them;) 3 of my favorite guns, I have the .223,308 and 12ga all converted over with threaded barrels.they are getting harder and harder to order tho:( guns and trucks just go together! ! Lol nice progress also by the way:salute:

Thank you :D

I was going to do the conversion myself on the Saiga but I picked up this one already converted by the importer off classicfirearms.com for $600 that came with T-6 Buttstock, Pistol grip and 3 piece G-2 No Slap trigger set by Tapco. The sportorized variation (not converted) was only $100 less :D

I picked up an SKS, Tokarev, and a Mosin all from that site and all came in great shape right to my door as I have a C&R FFL. This was my first rifle I had to ship to an FFL.

Thank you :D

I was going to do the conversion myself on the Saiga but I picked up this one already converted by the importer off classicfirearms.com for $600 that came with T-6 Buttstock, Pistol grip and 3 piece G-2 No Slap trigger set by Tapco. The sportorized variation (not converted) was only $100 less :D

I picked up an SKS, Tokarev, and a Mosin all from that site and all came in great shape right to my door as I have a C&R FFL. This was my first rifle I had to ship to an FFL.

Man thats not a bad price at all.what round is it? The .223 go for around $800ish converted around here and 12ga goes upwards of $1,200.those seem to be the most wanted ones around here.people freak out when the see a converted full auto, pistol grip drum fed 12ga!!!! Cheap to shoot and does some SERIOUS damage! !! Haha my pops has his ffl and I do all the work.

I use these guys for most of my parts.great people;)

http://www.dinzagarms.com/

Man thats not a bad price at all.what round is it? The .223 go for around $800ish converted around here and 12ga goes upwards of $1,200.those seem to be the most wanted ones around here.people freak out when the see a converted full auto, pistol grip drum fed 12ga!!!! Cheap to shoot and does some SERIOUS damage! !! Haha my pops has his ffl and I do all the work.

I use these guys for most of my parts.great people;)

http://www.dinzagarms.com/

It's the 7.62x39 caliber. Nice and cheap to shoot :D

I like the Saiga 12s but think I may actually go with a Vepr 12 next.

It's the 7.62x39 caliber. Nice and cheap to shoot :D

I like the Saiga 12s but think I may actually go with a Vepr 12 next.

Nice.think everyone around here likes the .223 because we are a military town so ammo can swap back and forth..

Word of advice dont put your targets against a tree when your shooting a 308 at it...this wasnt even a full clip and was on accident. We ended up cutting the tree up and using it for firewood the next year!! Lol

tree1_zps5q3t4ehu.jpg

tree3_zpspwoqudas.jpg

Haha! Nice!

Yeah I wanted another 7.62x39 because it's a pretty powerful round, cheap (can get 1000 for like $200) and it shares the same ammo as my Bullpup SKS :D 308 would be nice to have eventually as well. But next I want to get myself a shotty... vepr 12 looking mighty nice.. $999 on classic, not bad at all!

Haha! Nice!

Yeah I wanted another 7.62x39 because it's a pretty powerful round, cheap (can get 1000 for like $200) and it shares the same ammo as my Bullpup SKS :D 308 would be nice to have eventually as well. But next I want to get myself a shotty... vepr 12 looking mighty nice.. $999 on classic, not bad at all!

How do you like that pup? Never seen one like that, shot others similar tho.they seem to shoot nice but I just couldnt get use to them:( yea that vepr is nice;)belive it or not but I hunt with my saiga 308 lol

How do you like that pup? Never seen one like that, shot others similar tho.they seem to shoot nice but I just couldnt get use to them:( yea that vepr is nice;)belive it or not but I hunt with my saiga 308 lol

Bullpup feels nice in the hand but have yet to shoot it. Just put it together 3-4 weeks ago or so but weather has been funky plus last few weeks of school so hadn't had a chance to take it out. Going to take it out soon (and the AK and Archangel Mosin) hopefully! Unfortunately I cannot shoot on my own property as I am classified as being in city limits though I live in the middle of nowhere lol.

My Mosin (in Archangel stock w/Timney trigger):

20131001_152305_1.jpg

Have 5 and 10 round mags for it.. Nice upgrade over the fixed setup they come with in normal form :D Uses the always fun 7.62x54r round :D

Back