Oil leak near/from turbo

jbrady5979

Reaction score
City, State
Boston,MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
13 explorer sport 3.5 120k
Got off the highway last week and pulled in the driveway. When I got out I noticed some smoke coming from passenger side fender well. Got under it and saw a small amount of oil around exhaust pipe and engine mount. Can’t see anything from the top end. Appears to be near the fire wall where the turbo comes down and is dripping into cat. Is it a complete turbo replacement you think or just the oil feed line.
does anyone have experience with swapping lines and/or turbos on these that could assist? I know turbo cars and engine work but not a ton on these type of new setups. There’s no smoke from the tail pipes and no engine lights and no loss of power just a lot of smoke/burning smell from oil dripping onto cat on passenger side close to the firewall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd guess one of two things either the oil feed lines (return or supply) or you have a build up of oil in the CAC hose that coming out where the hose clamps onto the turbo housing. I've been a Ford tech for 30+ years and haven't really replaced any eco boost turbos themselves due to leaks.

Thanks for the reply!
What do you think the best attack would be? Pull the inner fender out? How much a pain are the 2 lines to replace? I’d like to start with the oil feed line and check that o-ring..
Ford told me it was going to cost me minimum 3k to fix because it was the turbo. In my experience it doesn’t seem like it. No smoke from the tail, no loss of power and no idiot lights.

I'll take a look at a shop manual tomorrow or look at a actual Explorer if there's one up in the air, I've replaced a turbo or lines on one or two but can't remember what's all involved it all becomes a blur anymore everything is getting super complicated to work on!!

haven't had one in the shop to look at but I'd still take a good look at where the oil lines go into the bottom of the turbo.

Soo finally got it on lift and searched and search for oil leaks. Nothing! Small amount around the passenger cat near firewall.. oil level is fine... checked coolant while I was there because the heat seemed low and it was below half!.. now I haven’t smelled or seen any coolant anywhere.. any advice

Soo finally got it on lift and searched and search for oil leaks. Nothing! Small amount around the passenger cat near firewall.. oil level is fine... checked coolant while I was there because the heat seemed low and it was below half!.. now I haven’t smelled or seen any coolant anywhere.. any advice
I would be scared to see my coolant levels low like that, as these Explorer's are known to have failing water pumps which can ruin the motor.

Can you define 'below half'?

Check for coolant at the weep hole on the timing cover. If the first water pump seal is comprised you will see evidence of coolant here. Anytime coolant is disappearing in a transverse mounted 3.5L/3.7L V6 it is cause for IMMEDIATE concern. This could mean a water pump failure is looming which can take out the engine in the blink of an eye. I would not recommend driving it until this is cleared as a concern.

Check the oil on the dipstick to ensure it is not contaminated. Also, please update your profile.

Peter

Can you define 'below half'?
Check the oil on the dipstick to ensure it is not contaminated. Also, please update your profile.

Peter
Coolant level was below half.. pressure tested and held perfect. Checked oil no signs of haze or smells, dark black as you’d see at a normal change. No residue on tail pipes and 0 odor. I will check the weeping hole for signs of a leak. I’ll be honest what kid of headache an I looking at for a water pump change?

.............................................I’ll be honest what kid of headache an I looking at for a water pump change?
Check out these threads found using the Forum's 'Search' Feature;

Peter

Coolant level was below half.. pressure tested and held perfect. Checked oil no signs of haze or smells, dark black as you’d see at a normal change. No residue on tail pipes and 0 odor. I will check the weeping hole for signs of a leak. I’ll be honest what kid of headache an I looking at for a water pump change?

Sorry, I should have been more clear on my 'below half' question.
Is it below half in the overflow bottle or the radiator?
If in the overflow bottle (which I hope that's what you meant), was it still within the min/max range?
My explorer isn't at home so I can't see how the overflow bottle is marked.

It is the same procedure as changing the timing chains and guides plus removing/replacing the water pump. Many who change the pump also change the chains and guides because it is just the cost of the parts to add it on the tab. Look for $1.5-$2k for just the pump swap and add another $700 for timing chain components. While this is high, an engine replacement will run you $6k-$7k.

If in the overflow bottle (which I hope that's what you meant), was it still within the min/max range?
I have coolant disappear and reappear temperature being equal..... It has to be pressure variances. Two years have passed and a pressure test later all I can do is watch it. Zero issues in oil or leaks.

Back