2000 Explorer Intermittent starting issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Intermittent starting issues

raybro

Reaction score
City, State
16689 silver pine road
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 xlt
My 2000 Explorer has been having intermittent starting problems. It doesn't matter whether it is hot, cold, dry or wet out. Some days it will start fine and then others it won't. There are even times when it will start first thing in the morning but then later in the day when I go to start it again, it doesn't want to start. I have to press on the accelorator to get it to start. Sometimes I even have to hold the accelerator down for several minutes in order for it to stay running. I have had a few occassions when it wouldn't stay running and sometimes when it does stay running it seems to be at a very low idle. I took it to a mechanic who did a diagnostic computer check which revealed no negative codes to indicate any problems. We changed the gas filter and did a pressure check, which was okay. I have put some chevron/techron additive in the gas tank. It seemed to have helped at first but now the problem has returned. If anyone has had similar problems or any ideas for me to try please reply asap.

Thanks

Did you do a leak down test on the fuel injection system? IE shut off the engine with fuel pressure gauge connected and wacth for a drop. Could be a bad check valve or injector?

I think your problem is the IAC valve. I previoulsy experienced the same exact intermittent starting problems. If the car starts when you hold the gas pedal all the way down, then I think it's the IAC. Since I replaced the IAC, I've had no starting problems. Another example of a weak Ford design. Shameful! Let's see, Fords been in the auto business for about 100 years and can't get the starting thing down right? pretty lame.

wow this is exactly whats happening to my 2001 sport right now...I think i'll clean or buy a new one asap. I just came back from school but it idled extremely low (at the stop lights) the whole way home.

Back