2001 Sport Gas tank fit in 2000 4 Door? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Gas tank fit in 2000 4 Door?

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
Will the plastic gas tank from a 2002 Sport fit in my 2000 4 door XLT. My truck has the metal gas tank, and I would like to switch everything from the 2001 including the fuel pump..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ttt

it will. but the tanks in a 2 door are smaller then a 4 door so you wont have as much range. i dont know if the fuel pumps are the same however. i think the lines going in are bent at different angles

Anyone ever put the 2 door tank in a 4 door?

Ummm who's that?

Click the name and it is a link to his profile :thumbsup:

You can either send him a PM or search his threads to try and find the information you are looking for with ease.

Thanks! PM send to member...

Also, did any 4 door second gens come with the plastic tank?

Thanks! PM send to member...

Also, did any 4 door second gens come with the plastic tank?

I am almost certain almost all 2 gen 4 doors had steel tanks. 1st gen ones had plastic tanks.

The 2001 2-door had a plastic tank, I guess the 4 doors all had steel

Ummm who's that?

I know this. 95 & 96 have smooth bottom tanks and have a canister style fuel pump. 97+ have some type of baffling in the fuel tank and use a non-canister style fuel pump pick up (fuel pump is visible) and use a different type of filler neck.

100_0102.jpg

2 door tank into a 4 door. Yes it is possible, the fuel lines line up and the only modification you need to make is to move the front tank mount towards the rear of the truck to support the shorter tank. 17 gallons vs. 21.

95 - 00 explorers all had steel tanks. 01 4 doors also did.

Is there a specific reason you want to do this? Is it just because you have a Sport tank already? New tanks aren't that expensive and a used 4-dr tank would be cheap (plenty of 4-dr Ex's in the salvage yard). Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to get the 2-dr tank to fit and lose 4 gals of capacity. jmho.

Back