2000 Explorer - V6 or V8 or, Engine Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer - V6 or V8 or, Engine Swap

StreetRod

Reaction score
City, State
Morganville, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
I rolled my 2000 Limited 2.5 xs last week:confused:, it had a v8 with 170k on it. Check Engine never came on ever, I bought the truck new. Never a problem, just normal maintenace which I did myself. The motor and trans ran like new.

I'm looking for a replacement 2000 Limited and found an exact match with the exception that it has the V6 with 61K miles. It run very well, 1 owner and was babied. It drove like a demo vehicle and looked like it was on the showroom floor.

My concern is that I may not be satisfied with a v6 and am contemplating buying back my rolled truck to do an engine, trans and Xfer case swap. I realize I will need the ECM and engine wire harness. I'm wondering what else I may need to get this completed should I buy the v6 and my demolished truck back. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the limiteds are nice, why not look for a 2000-2001 mountaineer? They're easy to find w/ V8s

I have looked at a few Limited V8s however, mine was Chestnut which is somewhat rare which I found another chestnut in excellent condition hence my wondering about the swap in the event I do not like the V6.

your old car into the new 2000 would be an easy swap. Same year, etc. Set them side by side and start swapping. You would need to change the engine, trans, transfer case, some of the wiring harnesses, probably the gauges (tach), possibly part of the fuel lines, emissions systems, etc etc. It's a lot of work, but if both vehicles are there, it sure isn't hard! Just time consuming. But I would drive the SOHC first...you may be delightfully surprised by it's performance and economy

... performance and economy

I agree, the performance on my sohc, before and after the lift and tires, was satisfying. Just out of curiosity, I'm getting 16 or 17 mpg highway right now, what's the sohc supposed to get with a stock setup?

I would stick the desired body on the V8 chassis.

save the axles, sell the rest and probably make your $$ back

That is one helluva an idea...and the easiest to do by far. You will still have a few things to swap...but nothing like the drivetrain swap. Great idea JT

My son's SOHC Mountaineer averaged a dead even 20 mpg. That's just checking the mileage between fill ups and included mostly in town driving.

Back