2000 Explorer XLS Overdrive problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer XLS Overdrive problem

Huntinglover

Reaction score
City, State
Canandaigua,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Hello Folks,
I just purchased a 2000 Explorer XLS with 4.0l automatic transmission on the cheap....very cheap. I've had it for a week now,it has a transmission leak(pan gasket i think) and also a P0735 code which is described as being incorrect 5th gear ratio. This vehicle will rarely shift into overdrive. On occasion,when least expected it will shift into overdrive and the rpm's will drop down to around 2000 where they should be. Does anyone have any ideas of what may be the cause of this problem? It is a 4X4. I do not know what transmission is in this vehicle as far as the exact model number. Thanks for all of your help in advance...

Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aaron, I looked up P0735 in the 5R55E manual, here is what it says:
P0735: SS1, SS2, SS3, or SS4; 5th Gear error; shift errors may also be due to internal transmission concerns (stuck valves, damaged friction material, etc.)

Thank you drdoom,
I'm hoping a person or twenty have had this problem also and can gimme a few things to check before I take it to the high dollar shops around here. It does shift into overdrive intermittently so I'm thinking that it might be electrical. I am by no means a transmission expert so I could be way off base here.

Aaron

Hey Aaron, man I am no transmission expert myself, just a shade tree hack. But you have come to the right place, there is tons of info here on the 5R55E trans. And you probably already know what the shop will say, hmm, maybe something like...transmission has to be replaced 3-4 grand. Hopefully for you it will just be electrical, but dude it take from me don't keep driving it like that. I parked mine for almost five years, then after doing everything to put it back on the road I only then remembered "you know, before I parked this thing years ago, I do recall having the O/D OFF light flash INTERMITTENTLY..." Well guess what, a few months after putting it back on the road, and 12,000 miles later, the light came back on (turned out it was P0741) and BAM she went up in flames.

The 5R55E has had a boat load of small problems, often related to the valve body gasket (read not really expensive). You might poke around in the transmission section for help.

Back