• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer pcm help!

Johnwimber1

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Elsinore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
Hey guys so I’m assuming it’s a pats issue I’m having with starting my car I did a full 5.0 swap into the explorer that means the pcm got replaced but my problem is that I don’t have the original key for the pcm I only have the original key that was too the car for the 4.0 pcm how do I program my original too the 5.0 pcm without the key that originally worked for that one? Can I just put back the 4.0 pcm? Would that work? Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can either take it to a dealer, ideally along with TWO, not just one key (but one is enough to get that one key working) that worked previously (so in the future you can program your own using the method in the owners manual which requires two keys already programmed in) which is usually the most costly option, or take it to a locksmith (or in the case of it not running, have a mobile locksmith come to you, after explaining you have NO working keys yet and it needs programmed) which is usually a little cheaper but not always, OR you can DIY using Forscan app for windows (with an extended license which you must request from them (for free), details on their site how to do it, then using forscan app for windows along with a connected OBD2, ELM327 based dongle, you can program it yourself.

Forscan app for windows is free, so the only cost is your time to learn how (detailed howto also on Forscan's forum), having a windows host tablet, or PC/laptop, and the cost of the dongle to connect it to your vehicle using whatever your windows host device supports, for example USB or bluetooth or wifi.

Personally, I would get the OBD2 dongle anyway because later, especially if it's bluetooth (for android), or wifi (for android or apple products) or even USB if your phone has a USB-C port and an USB-C to USB-A adapter in series, you can use Forscan lite with the dongle connected to your phone like it's a regular diagnostic OBD2 scanner along with realtime data capability, very full featured for the price of the dongle and forscan lite (which is not free, around $5 or so but not needed for the programming, only windows free version needed for that).

Heh, I should have just told you to do a forum search because this topic has been covered before and there's more info out there than I wrote above.

Ditto. Your new 5.0 computer must be mated to the PATS module(that stores the key codes in it), and the programmed keys in the PATS have to match the key(s).

So with the parts not matched, the only choice is to get the PATS module erased, which means buy the ELM327 dongle and use your own laptop and the Forscan, to do it yourself. You can still go to a dealer, and they will do it for a high price, erase the PATS module.

BTW, however the PATS module gets erased, at that time you are golden, you do not need any more old keys. At that time, any key will work using the normal programming procedure minus entering in prior keys(there are none, they were all erased).

Thus the first key will be super easy. The 2nd key simply requires the first key to program the second one into the PATS. After the first two are programmed in, then it always will require two prior programmed keys to add another, up to eight keys.

It would be very wise to always have three good working PATS keys, and replace one immediately when one gets lost or damaged.

Hey guys so I’m assuming it’s a pats issue I’m having with starting my car I did a full 5.0 swap into the explorer that means the pcm got replaced but my problem is that I don’t have the original key for the pcm I only have the original key that was too the car for the 4.0 pcm how do I program my original too the 5.0 pcm without the key that originally worked for that one? Can I just put back the 4.0 pcm? Would that work? Thank you
Update! I got a locksmith too come he re scanned the whole system and made a new key for me as well car runs great!! Super stoked thank you too everyone that helped on this Journey if anyone would like a whole rundown I did in order too do this swap with pictures let me know

Excellent, that's a great step and now's time to enjoy driving it.

Next thing, buy two more blank PATS keys online for about $10 each, and have them cut to match the other key. Then with the simple programming directions, you can add those new keys to the vehicle, so you have spares.

Back