2000 Ford Explorer Sport Break Light Socket Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer Sport Break Light Socket Replacement

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi again, I'm running into an issue when going to replace the Brake light socket for my 2000 Ford Explorer Sport. I went to replace the bulb because the break light wasnt working, but found the socket itself was burnt to hell. I still tried replacing the bulb and there was no change, so the next step is to replace the socket. The issue i'm running into is that the socket is one piece, there is no male/female connector between the socket and the wires from the car. This is a problem because the part for it from Autozone has a female connector, but my car has no male connector as it's one piece, So i'm stumped as to how to replace the socket? If this is confusing, I can post a photo of what the socket looks like and what the part from the store looks like.

If there's enough wire between the new socket and it's female plug, just cut the plug off and splice the wires to your existing wiring

UPDATE: Found out what happened. Whoever the last owner of my car was, whether them or a mechanic they saw for whatever reason cut off the stock brake light/rear light socket and spliced in a GM brake light/rear light socket. So, it looks like a trip to a junk yard is in my future to get a stock connector/socket.

In the mean time, I replaced the existing GM socket with a new one from the store, and now the brake light works, kinda. It doesnt work when the car is running, but it does when the car is off. Rear light is fine tho. I'm guessing this is due to it being a GM socket instead of a Ford socket, but otherwise idk.

Back