2000 ford explorer starter and running problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 ford explorer starter and running problems

Pudliner8

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
To start out I have a 2000 ford explorer 4.0 liter SOHC. had a new fuel pump put in with a new exhaust last summer and before that had a new alternator and new spark plugs put in. well about 3 or 4 months ago I started having problems starting it. it would crank and crank and crank then finally start until one day other stalled on the highway started right back up but then once I got to my destination wouldnt turn on in the morning. replaced the fuel pump again also the lines coming from the pump and theven filter and battery were all replaced as well. last week the same problems started up again and now it won't start again. i don't know what else to do

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the check engine light on? I'd start by pulling OBDII trouble codes and wonder if the crankshaft position sensor is failing, or just has corroded contacts (unplug, inspect, plug back in a couple times). Anyway that's a cheap part if that's it, around $10-$20 depending on where you get it.

When you replaced the pump, at least the second time, was there evidence of low fuel rail pressure? Was the battery low when it was replaced? I'm wondering if you have (had) more than one problem or if they were just replaced because it's cheaper than having a shop do *anything*?

When you have the no start condition, you can check fuel rail pressure with a loaner gauge from Autozone (or maybe Advance Auto et al), measure battery voltage with a multimeter (Harbor Freight ~ $3 or sometimes free with a coupon if you don't have one).

Basically there is fuel, spark, and timing. You could pull plugs and look at them, and I wonder if the spark plug wires have been replaced, then there's sensors, and with the SOHC engine, the timing chain issue but with it sometimes working and no reported timing chain noise, I'd lean towards a sensor or electrical issue being more likely. How many miles on the engine?

I moved the relays around been sitting didn't try to start it before that but it primed and started up switched them around again and no priming at all. Don't know if that was the problem or if I just got lucky. It was the black box fuse relays not the 20A mini relay

You looked at the crank sensor and it's connection? There's members on here who report that causing issues on the SOHC, I've also had issues myself with the PATS key causing it to die, or mostly a no start, but my key is an aftermarket key with a battery in it, replaced the battery and haven't had an issue since then.

We can't see what you did, so you'll have to be systematic about it, trying to start the vehicle before the swap then listing which two relays you swapped if you feel comfortable that this is all that was needed to get it to start reliably. Do you mean the relays in the distribution box under the hood? There, at least for the diagram on my '98 are relays for PCM, starter, and fuel pump. Since it's cranking I'd guess it isn't for the starter...

Fuel pump would be easy to test without equipment. Relieve the pressure on the fuel rail with the schrader valve on it, then turn the key one click. That should energize the pump and pressurize the fuel rail as evidenced by a lot of fuel coming out the valve by depressing it again.

I've got a good question, it came to mind looking at this thread, what brand of pump are you using and where are you getting it?

IDK what kind of pump is in it my brother forgot to get a receipt from the shop. but it wasnt working i swapped the bigger relays around and got it started and running but then when i switched them again i got nothing so i switched them back to where i had them when it was running and nothing again. i can't test the fuel pump through the fuel rail because it doesnt kick on but the car turns over starts and stalls like a second after it starts

i just tested the relays they were all good so im thinking its a connection issue somewhere that the relays are connected

Then you're back to where you were before, checking fuel pressure and electrical connections you can access without pulling the tank, before breaking down to pulling the tank and proceeding from there. I don't suppose your pump has a warranty still? If it can be replaced free, that's something to keep in mind.

idk if it does or not its only been in since the beginning of october. but i havent checked the connection to the relay plugs yet. which since wiggling them and moving them seemed to fix the issue i think this is where the problem lies. or since im fairly new to working on cars i could be completely wrong

Check inertia switch and also the plug

I made sure it was pushed down as in turned on so the flow of power could run through it. What else could I do?

I personally still am thinking you've got a junk pump, if swapping relays didn't do anything, then you've either got a connection problem, wiring, or bad pump. The fact it's doing it more seemingly in cold weather is a known sign on Explorers that the pump is giving it up

New pump would've only lasted 2 weeks then. I'm leaning more towards electrical. And I still can't explain why it started perfectly and then when I shut it off hasn't repeated the process of starting

How rusty is your truck? The rustier ones seem to have more wiring issues, and where the relay plugs in, any visible corrosion?

There's none where the relays are. In the back there's a black box I've noticed visible corrosion on to the point where idt the bolts can be unscrewed. Could it be something there? It looks like stuff from the pump runs either into it or out of it

I don't know what lengths you're willing to go to nor what equipment you have vs are willing to buy, but when you come upon the situation where it won't start, you need to rule out each subsystem at a time - fuel, air, spark, and timing.

We're talking fuel now, so since you know where the fuel relay is, when it won't start you can have one person turning the key from off to accessory or to be cranking the engine while another is measuring whether there is power input at the fuel relay. A test light would probably do this but I think in terms of using a multimeter.

If there is not, you have a problem upstream of the relay. If there is, you can measure for power at the output of the relay. If there is not, you have either a faulty relay or a fault in the circuit energizing the relay.

If there is power output, it's going to the pump. Follow the wiring, backtrace from the pump if that's easier. There should be some place you can access it (pump power wires) without having to pull the tank off yet. A multimeter with insulation piercing probe tips can check for power on the leads to the pump. If there is power on them, and you are not getting fuel pressure at the fuel rail in the engine bay, then either you have a pump fault or a fuel line clog, which would usually happen at the fuel filter.

Another thing some people might do is have one person with their ear down next to the tank to listen for whether they can hear the pump spinning (attempting to pump) when the key is first turned to accessory, or when trying to start the engine but then you have starter/engine cranking noise competing with hearing fuel pump noise.

What I am "guessing" you are describing about a black box in the back is probably an emissions control box with a valve, maybe pressure sensor, and then evap canister or it's just inline to that, none of which should prevent the vehicle from starting and running no matter what condition it's in.

Ok I'll keep this all in mind but it's been snowing here for two days now so it'll have to wait until the weekend to check all this out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh one last thing I'm confused onto which is the power input and power output numbers are on the relay so I can test them right and how would I test them with the multimeter? Would it be easier with a test?

Back