• Register Today It's free!

2000 Front Brakes AWD

Syclone613

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD
I have a 2000 302 AWD and the front brakes have never been changed. How do you remove the caliper bracket w/o stripping the bolts in the spindle? They seem to be rusted together. I can remove the caliper ok, but the bracket that cradles the rotor wont budge. Anyone else have this problem? I dont want to replace the spindles due to broken bolt. The truck only has 57000 and needs new brakes & rotors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar and my foot for leverage while leaning against the fender to break mine loose.

Don't just stomp on it. Slowly push down and let up on the end on the breaker bar unitl they break loose.

Those bolts are usually pretty tight - they may not be rusted together, just tight as all.

-Drew

I totally agree with JTSmith! I also have a 2000ex and did not loctite them.
On the way home one night at 55 mph I hit the brakes and noticed that it pulled hard right. Next thing I know, I'm on the side of the road with a flat tire. The caliper had came off and cut a groove through the inside of the rim so deep that it almost split the rim! So please loctite and torque!

same here, didnt torgue it down enough the bolt backed out and i lost all fliud and had to downshift and use the emer brake to get home...

I totally agree with JTSmith! I also have a 2000ex and did not loctite them.
On the way home one night at 55 mph I hit the brakes and noticed that it pulled hard right. Next thing I know, I'm on the side of the road with a flat tire. The caliper had came off and cut a groove through the inside of the rim so deep that it almost split the rim! So please loctite and torque!

same thing happened to me on vacation, lucky to find a ford dealer to sell me the missing bolts on a sunday morning.

to answer the questions, they have loc-tite on them. they will be harder than crap to break loose at this point. as was stated previously use a breaker bar or a strong pipe and your foot. they can be difficult to remove.

David

Back