2000 Mercury awd mountaineer need help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Mercury awd mountaineer need help.

alcarames

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi everyone, I'm new here! I bought a 2000 mercury mountaineer from my managers wife as a winter vehicle. It's mint! 90K miles, and not a single dent, garage kept, etc. It's a V8 with AWD. It's doing something a little strange that I wanted to know if it was normal for the AWD system of if there's an issue.
First off, when in reverse and when starting to go forward it stutters as if it were a 4WD vehicle in low. That's the best way I can describe it. Just wondering if this is normal for this AWD system or again if there is an issue. I'd appreciate any help I can get. One more thing, how many quarts does the 5.0 take with filter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't help with the other stuff, but the 5.0 takes 5 quarts. Welcome to the V8 clique and the site.

Check the rear differential to see if it leaked any oil out (look for a stain or oily dirt stuck to it). The limited slip will bind if the lube oil is low. You can check the level by removing the fill plug on the front drivers side of the rear differential. It should be filled up to the drain plug.

Ok, thanks I'll do that. I did notice while changing the oil that there was some oily dirt stuck to the front diff. What kind of fluid should I use to top it off and what weight? Thanks again.

Hey guys, I just got underneath the back of the truck to check the fluid in the pumpkin and the only thing I saw was a plug about midway up on the pumpkin. I looked at the top driver side and there was a sensor going into the pumpkin there. Where do I check the fluid from. I'm thinking the middle plug would drain the fluid, no?

Middle plug - it had a 3/8" square hole in it that perfectly fits a rachet extension. When you unscrew, the diff should not drain as it only gets filled to the plug on the second gens (3 1/2 quarts from empty). It is magnatized so dont be surprised if it has metal flakes stuck to it. Clean off and check if fluid is within 1/2" level of the plug. I suggest you get either the $7 hand pump or a couple feet of clear plastic hose to fill with. You wouldn't think it but that hole is tough to get a gear oil bottle into without spilling all over the place.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

I would take off the cover to get all of the old fluid out. Inspect and clean it up... Use rtv, no gasket needed. Being a used x you don't know whats in there. Refill with a quality synthetic. Record date and mileage for future maintenance.

Thanks fir the video post, it's a huge help. I did get around to checking the diff fluid and it is at the right level. The truck still has the binding sensation, it feels as though it's the rear or right in the middle of the vehicle. I'm considering doing the transfer flush and see how that works then the rear diff will be next.

Does it bind when turning sharply? Read up on viscous coupling to see if thats your problem.

It does but at low speed. So the viscous coupler could be the culprit?

Hey folks, I finally got around to bringing the mountaineer to a tranny shop I know. The tech seemed to think the problem was the clutches in the rear diff. He changed the diff fluid, replaced it with synthetic and added some kind of friction lube. He changed the transfer case fluid and front diff fluid, and did the trans service. It still has a little of the binding, the tech said give it two weeks let the friction stuff get in the clutches and see if it still does it. I did notice it doesn't do it as bad though, it's much smoother.

Hi everyone, I'm new here! I bought a 2000 mercury mountaineer from my managers wife as a winter vehicle. It's mint! 90K miles, and not a single dent, garage kept, etc. It's a V8 with AWD. It's doing something a little strange that I wanted to know if it was normal for the AWD system of if there's an issue.
First off, when in reverse and when starting to go forward it stutters as if it were a 4WD vehicle in low. That's the best way I can describe it. Just wondering if this is normal for this AWD system or again if there is an issue. I'd appreciate any help I can get. One more thing, how many quarts does the 5.0 take with filter?
Warning tire size must be the same front and back if it is not you will.blow out the front gear box.

Warning tire size must be the same front and back if it is not you will.blow out the front gear box.
You’d actually damage the transfer cases viscous coupling.

This poster hasn’t been on the site in a decade.

You’d actually damage the transfer cases viscous coupling.

This poster hasn’t been on the site in a decade.
Nl the vicpus stays locked and thross way too much torque to the front gear box and sill grind it lut in less than a week. Trust me i telling you from experiance. Alsomeasure from the ground to fender well this should be the same all the way around. Especially if you have trunions on the front suspension.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your front differential failed AFTER the coupler in the transfer case failing. There’s zero difference in the differentials between AWD and 4wd. If they can handle the full load of being in low range the AWD isn’t going to “throw too much torque” at it.

There’s zero reason the fenders need to be level. The fenders would be a terrible way to measure this anyways, you measure to the control arms when trying to level out one of these.

Back