2000 Mountaineer Expedition Build FW D44/9" SAS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Mountaineer Expedition Build FW D44/9" SAS

My DD has turned into a project vehicle. I am building it up to be a capable overland/expedition rig for long range trips to include camping and all around adventuring. :) We have a few trips tentatively planned already. I just need to get this thing going as we have much that we want to see.
I will be making a roof rack to carry a few items, but most will be carried in a trailer, so to keep from putting too much weight up top. Also, it will be nice to have the roof top tent set up on top of the trailer, so I can unhook and leave the "base camp" in place and go wheeling.

Here is what I have so far:

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0
BW4406
Black Rock 942 16x8 steel wheels
255/85/16 BFG KM2s load range E

Still needed:
Rear bumper, spare tire/fuel carrier
Winch
Roof rack
Trailer (have plans made up, but have other priorities)
and a lot more stuff... :)

Well, thats it. Stay tuned for updates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I promised pictures today, so here are pictures:

S1053370.jpg

S1053371.jpg

S1053365.jpg

S1053372.jpg

S1053375.jpg

Looks great!! Especially that new front bumper....its really making me think about one!

Thanks, I really like it.

Its kinda crazy, it went from this:
0617091602.jpg

To this:
S1053372.jpg

I've always wanted to see a boxed bumper like that on a mountaineer/2nd gen. Can you get pics of the mounting points? Did you need to trim the frame? I've also thought about trimming my front fenders around the wheel well, trying to keep it as clean as possible. It looks like the fender liner hangs right below the opening now. Can you also get some pictures of inside your wheel wells?

I can do that. I am making a special trip to the shop, just for you, but you owe me! :D

Hows that for service? :D

Bottom set of holes are for a body lift. I am glad I dont, it give a little more protection for that delicate stuff underneath. As you can see in the last picture, you hack off part (or all) of the factory mounts, so you can slip a nut plate into the frame rail.

S1053383.jpg

S1053384.jpg

S1053385.jpg

Awesome, thank you!

No problem, did they answer your questions?

I also forgot to mention that I folded the pinch weld on the rockers. I have gained about four inches of clearance from when I had the steps on it.

Yes they did, especially the last picture of the top of the frame horn showed exactly what i was looking for. I see that the mounting plates go right up to the front body mount, but i wonder if you trimmed those and drilled more mounting holes forward of the ones already there, and then trimmed a few inches of the frame off, could you mount the bumper back more? It sticks out a little far for my taste. I know you need space for the winch though.

Dont worry about any of that stuff. If you read the thread on pirate by the designer, he says that he makes them to order. somebody already asked for one that is tucked in more. Just talk to the guy and go from there. He is really great to deal with.

I love your Mountaineer, btw. I have read your registry a few times :D

Looks really good. Can't wait to see the end result.:thumbsup:

Thanks! I appreciate it. I am planning on starting the manual transfercase swap today. :)

Thanks.

Poor Mountaineer :(
S1053394.jpg

I feel like there is something missing...
S1053400.jpg

It was just a wittle guy!
S1053399.jpg

It might feel all sad right now, but when your done you and it will be soooo much happier than before. :D :thumbsup:

Oh, I know. :D

First it was all taken apart...
S1053402.jpg

Now its all put back together... (no more chrome, chrome is for girls :D)
S1053411.jpg

Benching that transfercase up there was a pain! I had to ratchet strap the exhaust over to the side, and clearance the floor with the BFH, and also "adjust" the gas tank bracket and i still had to wiggle it up in there.
S1053403.jpg

S1053405.jpg

Man its nice to have a "truck" instead of a glorified car. Low range is brilliant, and having actually 2wd... Its like a completely new truck, it feels like I added 100 HP, the AWD robbed so much power. Now it all (relatively speaking) gets to the wheels.

Welcome to the other side, nicely done :D

Thanks!

Hey! The grass IS greener over here! :D

Back