• Register Today It's free!

2000 shiftplus

RealXP8

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Saleen XP8
Anyone using a shift plus on a 2000 v8 or equivalant with a 4r70w trans? The b&m guys told me it will not work on anything 1998 and up. But it sounded like i was talking to someone that was just payed to answer the phone. My trans code is U. Most catalogs suggest it can be used on a ford trans with this code. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should work, I don't see why not.

i highly recommend that you spend the extra $$$ and go with the baumann shift kit. with the power your truck puts out its a virtual necessity.

I was thinking about the baumann, I just don't feel like pulling the pan on the trans. Is it time consuming? Can it be screwed up easy? Do you think it will take some time off my 1/4 mile?
Thanks, Joe

it shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours and the kit comes with very good instructions so messing up would be possible, but not likely.

i think it would take 2-3 tenths off of your quarter mile time if you run it on stage 4 for both 1-2 and 2-3 shifts and your stock tranny is as slow shifting as i'd assume with the torque output of your truck.

Ya, the trans is slow, i think it's hitting the rev limiter when shifting from 1 to 2. Looks like thats the way i'm going to go. Do you have the catalytic converters on your x? If not, did you notice a big hp gain? I was thinking of taking them off, should be worth about 20 hp, with the supercharger. I'm afraid it's going to be too loud. My 1990 mustang already is loud enough to wake up the dead. And the neighbors appreciate me having it parked for the winter.

i still have mine. you won't see any substantial gains when removing them unless you also replace the pipes from the headers (do you have any? or the stock manifolds? i don't know about the xp8s that much) back at the same time. with your charger you could open up your truck with a full header back exhaust and run duals all the way back, with a high flow cat on either side in front of an x pipe, followed by a high flow muffler.

what i'm saying is that in order for removing the cats to help you'll end up having to replace the performance exhaust you already have because you'll need larger diameter pipes in front of what you already have.

btw- what color is your truck, does it have the chrome 18s on it? or which rims? do you have any 1/4 mile times?

also, if your looking for more easy/cheap power tricks for your truck maybe you could post a list of all the mods you've done (just the x-charger?) and the extra goodies saleen provided.

It hasgt40p headers(not sure what brand, but they are real nice), complete saleen suspension, it has the chrome 18's. the pipe with the cats is the only stock exhaust part. Saleen filter(I think it's a k&n with a saleen logo). The interior has a ton of goodies. Some saleen stuff, and alot of custom audio and visual things.

The mustang motor is pretty much the same as an x. Taking the cats off a 5.0 mustang nets you about 15 at the wheels. And that can be backed by rwdyno testing.
A new cobra with an eaton style charger , when the cats where taken out got about 35-40 at the wheels, I know it sounds extreme but i'm been a mustang guy for about ten years.
Joe

I wouldn't take them completely off, but just get some high flow ones and match the piping of the rest of your exhaust.

Alec,
Thats what i was thinking, Anyone on these message boards, have a good brand? Because everyone i know just takes em off.

No 1/4 mile times yet, hopefully in the next few weeks.
Joe

i'm just sort of against removing the cats in general, but i too have seen big things from removing them on the newer supercharged stangs and lightnings. the supercharged motors don't need as much backpressure to put out enough torque to get you going and the reduction helps out in the hp. since you have the charger i'm sure you can benefit from removing them, but i don't think you will net that much gain unless you also replace the pipes from your headers (the only ones i've seen are borla/fms) if you go that route i wouldn't be suprised if it increases output by 5-10 percent (what do you estimate it at? 290?

the chrome 18s are by far my favorite wheels on a saleen. it sounds like you have a great looking truck. i hope that someday my "cobra" will be able to put the saleen to shame like all good cobras should, but for now my hats off to you.

btw- what happened to the borla exhaust the saleens came with? also what is the situation with your computer tuning? did the saleen ones come reprogrammed in some way? or do you ahve an aftermarket chip?

I bought the truck off some rich kid in NJ that had a big baseball contract with the Mariners. He changed the borla to a flowmaster. He also put euro taillights on it. But i took them off after owning it for about an hour. He must of been loaded. I have the window sticker and it say 54,000$ bucks. And he put minimum 10 grand in the stereo and alpine dvd based navigation system. The stereo hits so hard that not only the mirrors vibrate but so do my eyes.
He is also the one that added the x-charger, saleens really come with a powerdyne, but they are close to the same. With just the charger it is said to have 286hp. I figure with the headers and catback that it's a hair above 300. It has no chip or computer work, but i'm going to get one, it screams right past a 100 to hit the governer around 108.

It handles like a stock mustang, Which is not bad if your driving a truck. except it doesn't like sharp 90 angle turns, which is undrestandable.

I'll have some pics as soon as it stop raining here, and i have a chance to wash it.

yeah, i know the difference in the chargers well. stock for stock they are pretty even and your hp estimate is probably close, but the powerdyne is easier to modify to increase the boost etc.

i'm sure since you know about stangs you realize the importance of the computer tuning etc. i wouldn't be surprised if your combo without being precisely tuned is only making 260 or 270 hp but that with it you will be truly making what you suggested above.

what kind of subs and other componentry is in the truck? damn, i'm jealous though the more i hear the better it sounds.

I don't know about the subs, i know there are 3 ten in dual coil , whatever the hell that means. I have pics of the box on my comp, i just don't know have to put them in my profile. It was quite the deal to buy this truck, i'm no rich guy, and i wan't even looking for a car, I saw it at a classic car dealer, on consignment, and i bought it.

It's also got a alpine tv in the console. I think it's where a compartment was, but i don't really know. Since i wan't in an x too often. The amp is gold and is built into the back of the box with one of those big ( cap) things. It also has and alpine dvd player in the back.
An eclipse head unit and 8 disc changer in the arm rest.

do you know the manufacturer? most top of the line subs are dual voice coil. you probably have a very good system . if you email me pics i can post them for you because i'm an elite explorer. or else you could pay the 30 dollars to become elite as well (might be a little early for that since your new here)

on second though, please send me the pics... i'm going to be putting a tv in the console soon and i really want to see the way it was done in your truck because it sounds like it was probably a very good professional job.

expo.
Can i seng pics through the message board, if not i need yours, or i just don't know where to find it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JOE

I have the same question. I am ready to put the Shiftplus on my 2003 4.0 SOHC Trans code V. The package is ambigouus the way it is written. It says 94-97 then It says for Trans code ......

Does anyone know the definitive answer as to whether you can put the shiftplus on 98+ explorers (provided the trans code is right)?

Also the "techie" at the parts store said It should work when i posed the question.

Please help so I dont blow up my trans

thanks in advance

Back