2000 x v8 (5.0) Front end noise??/ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 x v8 (5.0) Front end noise??/

jls1znv9999

Reaction score
City, State
Roxana, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
First off i have the junk 4404 tc, going to do the electric 4406 conversion soon.
(it's a daily so don't need the manual shift)

I have a 2000 exp 5.0 V8 stock AWD. The front drive shaft is out (i don't care about the vc either.

It's got something like 165K miles on it.
I have replaced all of the following:
Upper and lower ball joints
Essentric cambers (the old were rusting)
Sway bar end links and bushings (front and rear)
Tie rod ends
One caliper (seized)
All rotors
Brake pads all around

What i hear is something like a grumble, i have noticed it when the truck is slowing or speeding up. It's not 100% of the time either. It has it's moments so to speak. I know when braking i feel something like bad brakes, but checked we are all good. Brake system was flushed clean and bled really well.

When slowing down at a light it feels like when brakes are gone (metal on the rotor). It vibrates on stopping, every so often it grumbles on start moving. Almost like what i can only describe as bad front hub bearings. I am going to check to see if i can replicate the sound. By lifting truck and in neutral and spinning tires.

What i am wondering is if it's not that any ideas?
Also i don't want to go with some POS stock AZ part either. I want to find a quality part that is either equal or better than OEM.

Everything i have replaced that is available is MOOG. Being it's just a daily (for now at least) i figure protect the time and effort to fix.

I appreciate all the help. I have searched the forums and nothing that matches these symptoms.

I have checked RockAut and found wheel bearings (inner and Outer). I was under the impression that if the bearings failed you would have to replace the whole hub? The abs is fine, no codes or anything like it. Anyone know definate about this, i have awd if that is of importance. I just want my EXP to run like a whole new one.

I've had the same thing going on for two years or better on my '97 Mountaineer and I have never figured it out.

The only difference is mine doesn't vibrate. It just makes the grumbling noise.

I've had the same thing going on for two years or better on my '97 Mountaineer and I have never figured it out.

The only difference is mine doesn't vibrate. It just makes the grumbling noise.

The vibration feels like how my front drive shaft did when it was going out. I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Back