2001-2003 Sport sag -4 door Explorer spring swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001-2003 Sport sag -4 door Explorer spring swap?

stan412

Reaction score
City, State
Gray, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 Explorer Sport (same as the 02 and 03). My rear end is sagging and after searching this site it looks like swapping in the springs from a four door will be my best option. My main concern is the ride quality and lifting the rear end. Has any one tried this and if so how did it work. Also any advice on what year Explorer springs to use and which rate springs to use.(Some people said that Ford offered different rate springs for the same model). Any help or suggestions would be great, I love my Explorer, but I have to do something about the sagging rear!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy the Warrior Shackles like 40 bucks or something. Easy fix and looks good. Took me like a half hour to put them on. Got them a Tellico4x4.com

Thanks, I had saw that, but I heard that they will give a bad ride, something about upsetting the suspension geometry or something like that. How do yours work and how about the ride? Any pictures, especially before and after?

Just an update on this, I put Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjusting shock absorbers on the back of my explorer sport and they raised the rear about 1 1/4 inches. Now my explorer looks "normal" with out the sagging rear end look, I can tow with out the rear almost on the ground and as a bonus the ride is much better!
The part number is 58617, found them on Amazon.

Just installed these and love em! The rebound I used to feel hitting these craters in NY is gone and definitely feels more stable in turns/windy conditions.

Back