2001 Explorer AC Problem/Question

scrnchr

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLS
2001 Explorer with 4.0 SOHC engine

Bought the truck last winter. This summer found AC inoperative. The clutch would not engage for any control setting.

Jumpered the low pressure cut-out switch (on the accumulator) and the compressor engages and runs.

I don't have the dual set of a/c gauges. I realize I can get a set on loan from an auto parts store or buy a cheap set, but right now I can't spend a lot of time on this.

I used an R-134a recharge can with the small gauge on top. Half the can (about 11 oz) recharged a small car we own. Then I connected it to the Explorer low pressure port (above the accumulator) and with the engine running, the remaining half can (about 11 oz) slowly went into the a/c system. When first connected, the gauge read zero (on the small car it read something like 10 psi). As the refrigerant was drawn into the Explorer a/c system, the pressure went up a small amount, maybe to 5 psi or so, then dropped down to zero.

I hooked up a second can to the Explorer. This time I jumpered the low pressure cut-out switch to try to draw the refrigerant in. Engine rpm was held at 1500 rpm. I only got about another 14 oz into the system, and that required holding the can upside down a lot of the time.

The tubing and bracket the low pressure port is on frosted up. Looking down on the accumulator, it frosted up 3/4 of the way around the circular shape. The low pressure line coming out of the accumulator frosted up for a few inches near the accumulator.

But the low side pressure stayed right near zero.

With the jumper removed, the compressor would still not engage.

What do I do next?

Is the accumulator plugged and the refrigerant leaking away?

Is there probably some massive leak?

I realize I could take it to some a/c mechanic, but it's an old truck I got for my son, and I'm not able to spend hundreds or thousands on this.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

I'd have thouht you'd hear a leak as bad as you seem to have.

Its possible the orifice tube is clogged but if that was so, I don't think you'd see 0psi at the accumulator when the system not running.

I think getting a pressure reading from the high pressure port is needed. If that is also 0psi you've got a leak, probably a quite large one

Back