2001 Explorer Sport Hatch Wont Lock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport Hatch Wont Lock

thegame310

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
I am the new owner of a 2001 Explorer Sport and the one issue I have is the back hatch will not lock. From what I understand it should lock with the automatic door locks and it does not. There is a door lock switch right by the hatch but that does not lock it as well (it does lock all other doors however)

Would anyone have any advice on how to possibly fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

It sounds as though you are getting power, you're gonna have to take off the hatch panel and see if there is any movement(while someone locks and unlocks). If something did not get disconnected, odds are you have a bad actuator. Mine used to be hard to unlock, had to hit the button 10 or 20 times, very frustrating. Actuators are'nt that expensive but replacing them is a PITA, very cramped up there, I had my stereo guy do it, I could'nt deal.

Yea, I was gonna say his actuators probably going bad, or already went bad...
Can you lock it with your hands? Does it make any noise?
In the 95 I just bought, the right rear passenger door when I press Lock or Unlock, it just grinds like crazy, doesnt lock or unlock so I have todo it by hand.

Well that's another thing, I wouldnt mind locking it by hand. But when i put my key in the lock it doesnt turn it just pushes in. And actually I dont even need to use the key to push in the lock, I can just push it in with my thumb and the glass will open up.

Back