• Register Today It's free!

2001 ford explorer rattle

ChrisC2006

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane valley WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer XLY
So I had my rear timing chain cassette break about 8k miles ago. I replaced it aswell as all new tensioners. Well here I am with the start up rattle again! This time it’s coming from the front and I tried changing the tensioner again. Didn’t work. Why does it still rattle with a brand new factory tensioner? It does it on cold AND warm start. I’m stumped. Im prolly just going to put a pre-oiler in and call it good. 170400 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try mechanical tensioners

I crank my motor when cold to develop oil pressure before letting her fire. It helps tremendously. That said, I think I’m going to go mechanical at the next tensioner change.

You can try mechanical tensioners

I crank my motor when cold to develop oil pressure before letting her fire. It helps tremendously. That said, I think I’m going to go mechanical at the next tensioner change.
Send a link? I’ve never seen a mechanical tensioner for the sohc

Low oil pressure? Clogged oil passages?

Motorcraft tensioners only no Cloyes no knockoffs or fakes or this can happen

What oil do you run and how often do you change it?

Mechanical tensioners have some threads here we discuss them often

Low oil pressure? Clogged oil passages?

Motorcraft tensioners only no Cloyes no knockoffs or fakes or this can happen

What oil do you run and how often do you change it?

Mechanical tensioners have some threads here we discuss them often
I’ve noticed that oil pressure takes a while to build up. But I always change oil every 3k miles and I ALWAYS put rislone engine cleaner/treatment in. 5w30 in winter and I normally run heavy oil in summer. I like 15w40 because it has more zinc in it. But I’m on 5w30 currently. It’s been getting worse and worse every start.

Back