2001 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 5.0L AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 5.0L AWD

redexplorer5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
my new toy i just bought
2001 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 5.0L AWD 131K
full loaded all power
my 1998 ford explorer 5.0 awd need a fornt diff i still have it sitting in my garage at work
untill i remove somethings out of it
the truck runs and drives great no problems and importantly NO RUST
im happy with it
im going to miss my explorer
IMG_2027_zpsrelphch0.jpg
IMG_2029_zpswozqa9ud.jpg
IMG_2030_zpsk8qvgf96.jpg
IMG_2028_zpsvoqtags8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice looking truck. We have two 2000 Mountaineers in our fleet. One is an AWD. I don't think you'll be missing your Expl for long. The Premier is a nice trim level and IMO the Mountaineer is a better looking vehicle than the Expl. Good luck with it.

Here's a pic of our nicest one:
109_0117_zpsc4edfn5w.jpg

Thank you koda2000 your mountaineer is beautiful it looks showroom condition
I love it I like the front of the mountaineer better and the features it has I still have my explorer sitting in my garage at work with a whole brunch of new parts not installed yet I crossed reference the parts I bought they fit on the mountaineer
The engine and transmission and transfer case are perfect in my explorer but the front diff is shot
I keeping the explorer as a parts truck

Thank you koda2000 your mountaineer is beautiful it looks showroom condition
I love it I like the front of the mountaineer better and the features it has I still have my explorer sitting in my garage at work with a whole brunch of new parts not installed yet I crossed reference the parts I bought they fit on the mountaineer
The engine and transmission and transfer case are perfect in my explorer but the front diff is shot
I keeping the explorer as a parts truck

Yes, the Explorer and the Mountaineer are mechanically identical and body-wise the only major difference is the front end/grille. As I own both Explorers and Mountaineers I've had ample opportunity to examine the two closely. I gave the red Mountaineer to my daughter and my personal vehicle is an '01 Explorer Eddie Bauer, which is in even nicer condition than the red Mountaineer. Pic below. I think these vehicles are great value for the money. Every time I see an exceptionally nice one I can't help buying it. Lately I've had to stop looking at craigslist as I've running out of places to put any more trucks. If the only thing wrong with your Explorer is the front diff, you should replace it. It's not that hard to do and a used diff can be had for not much money. If you don't want to keep the Expl afterwards, you can sell it to offset the cost of the Mountaineer.

100_0320_zps9i7z4hms.jpg

Your explorer is gorgeous love the color never seen one in New York in that color before
I'm really thinking about what to do with my explorer I have to price the front diff
If it's cheap enough I'll fix it and give the truck to my mother there nothing wrong with it except for the diff
This forum has been great for me and very helpful I'm great full for everyone help
On getting my truck in working order

Your explorer is gorgeous love the color never seen one in New York in that color before
I'm really thinking about what to do with my explorer I have to price the front diff
If it's cheap enough I'll fix it and give the truck to my mother there nothing wrong with it except for the diff
This forum has been great for me and very helpful I'm great full for everyone help
On getting my truck in working order

Thanks, I like my Explorer's color too. It's called Wedgewood Blue. I haven't seen too many in my color here either.

I'm not sure if the front diff from a Sport, Ranger or ST would be the same, but if it is that would increase the availability. Be sure to match the axle ratios front/rear. AWD or 4x4 would be the same diff. I see them on eBay for $250-$300, locally you may do better.

Door codes for various axle ratio:
41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)

The front axle is always an open unit (non LS)

Mountaineers look cool with some lift too :D . Had this 01' since new basically

20160118_124602_zpsdkxuapuv.jpg

[MENTION=186147]koda2000[/MENTION] my door code is D4 so i have to get a 373 for the front to match the back
is that correct ?
[MENTION=49993]beach[/MENTION] that looks sweet

[MENTION=186147]koda2000[/MENTION] my door code is D4 so i have to get a 373 for the front to match the back
is that correct ?
[MENTION=49993]beach[/MENTION] that looks sweet

Correct.

thank you so much koda2000 you rock

Back