2001 Mercury Mountaineer wont start, computer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Mercury Mountaineer wont start, computer

zyco187

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Merc Mountaineer
I am posting this for my mom. She recently let her 16yr old son borrow her truck...

and when she got home she found that the truck wouldnt start and the key wouldnt even come out of the ignition or turn. she found out from her other younger son that his brother was outside for a long time trying to jumpstart his friends car.he said that he was out there for atleast an half and hour and was treating the truck like ****. revving the truck alot and making it rev all the way up till the red line was at its limit going crazy with it. said he was surprised the engine didnt blow up.

well she thot she would first try to replace the ignition and key. since it would not start. and it cost her $425 plus tow bill there and back. but the ford dealer couldnt get the truck to start after replacing the ignition. she couldnt remember all the things the mechanic said but. some things he said was that it needed a new brain (computer im guessing), and that it had electrical problems like the turn signals would come on and not turn off. he also said that it would cost more to fix than what its worth. is this true ?

i found the computer to be $98 at advance auto. and i told her if she gets it fixed that i thought it would be better to take it to a local mechianic instead of a big dealer that rips ppl off everyday, plus it would prolly be cheaper. what should she do. i live down the street from her so any tests that can be done to help find the problem i wouldnt mine doing. im no mechanic but im not stupid either.

thanks
zach

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fried gem, ??? anyone

If it is the computer that is bad it is very simple to change out your self.

If it is the computer that is bad it is very simple to change out your self.

yeah i thot about that. figured it was just an easy unplug/plug the new one in. but wont i have to get the code from the old one or something. think im gng to look into doing that.

thanks

Hold up before buying the new PCM

The 1998 and up explorers -Mountaineers have Passive Anti Theft, or PATS

Replacing the PCM will result in the same situation your are in now.

Why did the dealer charge so much for ignition lock replacement without re coding the pats system to the new keys? I would call them and ask this since you just paid out 475.00.

Before replacing any parts--check this and post back please. When you try to start the truck, while the engine is cranking do you see the "theft" light flashing rapidly?

When you take the key out, does it flash slowly?

Back