• Register Today It's free!

2001 Mountaineer ABS issue

fjm

Reaction score
City, State
Orland Park IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Recently I've been having an issue with braking below 10 mph. Brakes work fine initially but when speed almost stopped and below readable 10 mph on guage, they give out a bit and I hear what sounds like the ABS compensating for slippage. At this point the car pulls very slightly right, so I'm guessing the front left is the problem. When almost stopped and I hit the brakes once or twice again, the car stops fine. I've check brake lines all the way to the ABS and have found not a drop of leakage anywhere.

I'm assuming the tone ring is gummed up but haven't checked yet. At this point I'm think it's a bad sensor. If so, are sensors replaceable at the wheel?

Looking for help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TSB for the issue. Do a search for low speed ABS

If you have ABS light on, so the problem is related to abs system.
I had it once, ABS light coming on and off couple of times a month.
Cleaned the front ABS ring and sensors, fixed the issue.

If no ABS light is on, problem should be "mechanical", remove front brake calipers to inspect caliper slide pins, clean, add new grease, replace pin and/or pin boots (rubber dust caps) if necessary.
Install caliper without brake pads first, to check movement of caliper, it should slide creamy smooth. If they move ok, install brake pads and you are good to go.
Not a bad idea to do the same to the rear calipers as a maintenance.

If you say its pulling a bit to one side, I would also check for movement of brake caliper's cylinder. Bleed caliper until clean fluid is coming out.
Last time I bleeded one of mines, something like mud was coming out of it!

Thanks for the input.
FYI, I know the ABS light works but has never come on to indicate a problem with the system. I will check the caliper operation and and tone ring to make sure parts are clean and operating as they should. Will post what I find, etc.
Thanks.

my 01 exploder is doing the same thing right now.
More then likely it is the senor.
My bearings are fine but that said on my 95 the only way the same problem was fixed was to put new hubs on it.
i have new hubs for this but i have been to lazy to change them.
I never had a abs light either.
What you can do for now is to follow the wires from either side abs to a plug up near the bumper if i remember right and just unplug it...the abs light will come on but your abs will not kick in

Good call Dave. I traced my driver side sensor lead to the bumper area you mentioned and unplugged it there. I was surprised how easy to find and disconnect. ABS light stays on now but braking problem is over. When I have time I'll replace the sensor.

Your 2001 Explorer and my 2001 Mountaineer are virtually the same car. I have Ford Explorer tags all over mine. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Good call Dave. I traced my driver side sensor lead to the bumper area you mentioned and unplugged it there. I was surprised how easy to find and disconnect. ABS light stays on now but braking problem is over. When I have time I'll replace the sensor.

Your 2001 Explorer and my 2001 Mountaineer are virtually the same car. I have Ford Explorer tags all over mine. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Glad it worked for you also.

Back