2001 sport cluster swapped in 96 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 sport cluster swapped in 96 sport

jjones1303

Reaction score
City, State
East Haven CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Sport
I swapped a cluster out of a 2001 sport into a 96 sport because i like the gauge faces. everything works great except the temp gauge reads incorrectly. it says its overheating when it is at normal operating temp. has anyone ever done this before? :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem.

The newer sensor sends a different signal then the older one. Replace your coolant temp sensor with the right one for an '01.

IIRC its 2 wire instead of 1 wire. (thats because it doesnt ground through the plastic housing). You will need the wire pigtail. 1 wire goes to the original wire, the extra wire goes to ground.

If your '96 gauge has a resistor on the back and the 2001 does not, you can also swap the temp gauge itself and use the 2001 needle. The whiteface will be unaffected, the mechanics and fit are the same. Been there, had to do that. :)

i went for the ghetto quick fix. took out the check gauge light so it wouldnt keep going going off and then i pried the new needle off with a fork and stuck it back on in the correct spot. it works, kind of bobo but it works. protip: dont stick the needle on too hard or it wont move at all, found that out the hard way after putting the gauge cluster all the way back in.

the 01 is sohc, will that fit an ohv motor 4.0

Back