White faced gauges in a 2001 4 door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

White faced gauges in a 2001 4 door

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
Hello,
i have a 2001 4 door but i want to swap in a gauge clutser from a sport or sport trac. The white faced gauges. i have AWD and my only question is do i need to look for a 2WD cluster or a 4x4 cluster and does it even matter? i dont have any 4x4 switch but i just wanted some guidance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If nothing lights up on your cluster, you can use a 2wd cluster or a 4wd cluster.

You can use either. I'd find a 2wd though so you don't have the spot. You can see the unlit lights on the white one.

Thanks guys. Do you know how to set the new unit to the same miles as my old unit? Is it easy or will i risk damaging the new unit?

Hello,
i have a 2001 4 door but i want to swap in a gauge clutser from a sport or sport trac. The white faced gauges. i have AWD and my only question is do i need to look for a 2WD cluster or a 4x4 cluster and does it even matter? i dont have any 4x4 switch but i just wanted some guidance.

4WD cluster would work fine, but some of the lights on the rightmost side of the cluster would never light up (4 Hi, 4 Lo etc). I did a partial swap (overlays only) on my '99 and went with 2WD overlays "just because". If you have a choice, go with 2WD.

Thanks guys. Do you know how to set the new unit to the same miles as my old unit? Is it easy or will i risk damaging the new unit?

Personally, I didn't want to mess with that which is why I simply extracted the white overlays and red needles from a white faced cluster. I've seen people change the mileage to match before, but I didn't want to deal with that (takes some disassebly of the cluster to make it happen). Some people don't deal with changing the mileage and instead document the mileage change which you'd essentially have to do by law and would need to communicate as such to buyer if you re-sold it. I didn't like that option either.

I now have white faced gauges, but my odometers are still white on black. Looks great. If you go this route, the challenge is getting the speed and tach needles calibrated correctly. The other needles can be eye-balled, but it's easy to be out a long way on speed/tach. I simply used a Scangauge (which reads speed and tach in the PCM) and through trial and error, I matched them.

Pic from my old 4WD Sport (I did the same mod in my AWD EB, but with 2WD overlay on right):

whitefaced_cluster_Sport_.jpg

Do you know how to set the new unit to the same miles as my old unit? Is it easy or will i risk damaging the new unit?

Be VERY careful here. You could end up making your car darn near worthless if the speedometer isn't handled correctly. You are doing it right by ensuring the odometer stays the same. The above post is one way. What I did on both my 95 and my 99 was simply unscrew the speedometer from the old cluster and put it in the new cluster. You must remove the needle to do this, but it is very simple to use a scan tool, another car, etc to put the needle back on in the correct location. Now, you have the factory speedometer/odometer still in the car and no mileage discrepancy or explanation is ever needed. You are legal as the judge and good to go.

Back